Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control and AP not available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving a couple days ago in a rainstorm and suddenly I got the cruise not available and AP may be available on next drive. I figured probably a few leaves or something got stuck on the bumper area but it's clear.

Well I've done a power cycle, I've don't the 2 thumbs reset, I've installed an update, and I've even done the pull the fireman's loop reset. Still the errors persistent.

Both the camera and the radar sensor look fine and there is no obvious physical damage to either. I'd gotten a similar error in the past when the radar sensor was covered by snow or other debris. But as I said it's clear and nothing is blocking anything.

In service mode the sensors the radar one shows grey instead of green like all the other sensors so I'm 99% sure it's an issue with the radar. Anyone have an idea how I can get this fixed?

Service apts are 3-4 weeks out and I drive a lot of long distances (9hr tomorrow) so no cruise or AP is like being in highschool again with a POS car.

I was driving a couple days ago in a rainstorm and suddenly I got the cruise not available and AP may be available on next drive. I figured probably a few leaves or something got stuck on the bumper area but it's clear.

Well I've done a power cycle, I've don't the 2 thumbs reset, I've installed an update, and I've even done the pull the fireman's loop reset. Still the errors persistent.

Both the camera and the radar sensor look fine and there is no obvious physical damage to either. I'd gotten a similar error in the past when the radar sensor was covered by snow or other debris. But as I said it's clear and nothing is blocking anything.

In service mode the sensors the radar one shows grey instead of green like all the other sensors so I'm 99% sure it's an issue with the radar. Anyone have an idea how I can get this fixed?

Service apts are 3-4 weeks out and I drive a lot of long distances (9hr tomorrow) so no cruise or AP is like being in highschool again with a POS car.
My 15' 85D did that after a really heavy rain storm. I had my sensor aligned with a level and as straight in relation to my bumper as my mechanic could get it.
Still didn't work but about 100 miles later I realized the display had stopped showing the error and then it DID start working.

I don't think the radar is active anymore. Isn't everything now Vision Only?
"In 2021, we began our transition to Tesla Vision by removing radar from Model 3 and Model Y, followed by Model S and Model X in 2022. Today, in most regions around the globe, these vehicles now rely on Tesla Vision, our camera-based Autopilot system."

"In 2021, we began our transition to Tesla Vision by removing radar from Model 3 and Model Y, followed by Model S and Model X in 2022. Today, in most regions around the globe, these vehicles now rely on Tesla Vision, our camera-based Autopilot system."
judging from his signature the AP1 vehicles didnt get the vision update

Definitely still radar in use on ap1

Reactions: DerbyDave
I would think it’s a water ingress on the radar unit connector or the unit itself.
Yeah it went bad Friday and it's been dry and still non op today. I might pull the bumper tomorrow and check the wiring for it.
Nope not us legacy vehicles
judging from his signature the AP1 vehicles didnt get the vision update
Exactly the radar is still 100% used
Definitely still radar in use on ap1
Facts bro

Had the SC remote look at it

How easy is the alignment/recalibration? I'll look at the manual later when I'm not busy, but if anyone has done it any advice would be nice

Screenshot_20230904-150021.png

I haven’t done this yet myself but have prepared by purchased two axis T type small level so I can adjust the horizontal and vertical face on the radar. You want the car also be correctly at level. On the front of the radar you can find two different screws that will give you the needed access for the adjustment.

Had the SC remote look at it

How easy is the alignment/recalibration? I'll look at the manual later when I'm not busy, but if anyone has done it any advice would be nice

View attachment 970976
You're just trying to get the radar unit vertical and straight forward.
This is what I bought to reach the screws for adjustment:

Here's the procedure:

What was the scope of error codes reported? I had similar functional errors (loss of AP/CC/regen) with the errors "DAS_w009, ESP_w001, ESP_w002, ESP_w003, GTW_w181, DI_w039") when on a trip with heavy rainfall that wouldn't go away with resets, and the repair ended up being the replacement of the "Front Anti-lock Brake Intelligent System Wheel Speed Sensor Assembly (1037794-00-B)" at the Service Center.

What was the scope of error codes reported? I had similar functional errors (loss of AP/CC/regen) with the errors "DAS_w009, ESP_w001, ESP_w002, ESP_w003, GTW_w181, DI_w039") when on a trip with heavy rainfall that wouldn't go away with resets, and the repair ended up being the replacement of the "Front Anti-lock Brake Intelligent System Wheel Speed Sensor Assembly (1037794-00-B)" at the Service Center.
I never looked at the error codes in service mode didn't even cross my mind but good looking out. I'll do that in the morning before I head out and see what shows up.

The AP unavailable error doesn't show up till about 5 seconds after I put the car in drove. But it should still be there in the historic error list.

How much was that part? Not the labor I can do that but it would be nice to have an eyeball of what the wallet damage will be if I need a ABS part.

well the radar was about 1/2 a bubble off in alignment but its still giving the same radar and other errors. i tried a power off for 10 min, tried a pull the firemand loop for 30 min. And about 5 seconds after i put it in gear the error comes up. So it looks like im gonna have to drive with no cruise for a month till a service appt opens up

well the radar was about 1/2 a bubble off in alignment but its still giving the same radar and other errors. i tried a power off for 10 min, tried a pull the firemand loop for 30 min. And about 5 seconds after i put it in gear the error comes up. So it looks like im gonna have to drive with no cruise for a month till a service appt opens up
Someone else mentioned it took a number of miles of driving for it to detect that the alignment problem was resolved. (Probably not necessary if you have the Toolbox software and align it through that process.)

Someone else mentioned it took a number of miles of driving for it to detect that the alignment problem was resolved. (Probably not necessary if you have the Toolbox software and align it through that process.)
OH *sugar* IT ****ING WORKS!!
Free taco day for the win. Driving between Taco Bell stop 2 and 3 I looked down and the error was gone and AP and cruise are working now.
Tacos were the solution 😂🌮

This is the level i used, its got a nice flat spot so you can get it up against the radar nicely and it fits perfectly in the space available I cant for the life of me figure out how the hell one of those T levels for a trailer would work since there is no flat spot to butt up against the radar piece. I used a micrometer to get it adjusted left and right it was 7.6mm on each side when i was done with it.

Reactions: livesmith