Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sensor issue solved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I took delivery of my 90D at the end of May. Among other issues, one of the left front proximity sensor is very finicky. It sets off when the vehicle is stopped and at low speed although there is no object there (interestingly, it would become unreliable in warmer condition only). Most of the time it is a nuisance, but it also makes autopilot useless in a stop and go traffic on the freeway (where I use the feature most).

Service center performed a firmware update which did not solve the problem.

Since I do not relish giving up the car again, I did what any other non-engineer/ignorant person would think to do and placed a piece of electrical tape on top of the sensor. And this solved the sensor issue!! I have tested it for about it week. It has not set off falsely even in the heatwave that we currently have in southern California and it seems to function normally otherwise.

So my question is, has anybody else dealt with this issue, how was it resolved and does having a piece of electrical tape over the sensor cause any safety concern (my wife is still not convinced of this fix)? I have already informed the service center and they have not reached me back on this yet. Thanks in advance.

BTW, if anyone is interested, here is a youtube video of the issue

and I have attached a photo of the fix.

20160723_175811.jpg

I had this happen on my Cayenne prior to the X. It would start beeping when no one was there only when it was ver hot and sunny outside. Is there a way to change the sensor ?

I am sure tesla will eventually change the sensor, but I have not had any reply since I notified the rep at the SC 10 days ago about this issue (forwarded the video as well as the fix). It took me a month to schedule a SC visit which did not fix this issue. Who knows how long the wait is now.

I am also in a bit a of a pickle as either I convince my wife that this is a viable fix or rent her a minivan for 10 days in the coming week (why would she doubt repairing a sensor with a crude piece of tape?). I am trying to gather as much info as I can and thus reaching out to this forum for help.

I am sure tesla will eventually change the sensor, but I have not had any reply since I notified the rep at the SC 10 days ago about this issue (forwarded the video as well as the fix). It took me a month to schedule a SC visit which did not fix this issue. Who knows how long the wait is now.

I am also in a bit a of a pickle as either I convince my wife that this is a viable fix or rent her a minivan for 10 days in the coming week (why would she doubt repairing a sensor with a crude piece of tape?). I am trying to gather as much info as I can and thus reaching out to this forum for help.

Man Tesla has to really step up the opening of new Service Centers in current high density areas.