Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode configuration/turning on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newly upgraded MCU1 to MCU2 car here, so I have some questions about Sentry operations.

I have installed my thumbdrive and it is recording dashcam footage and sentry events, my problem is with sentry turning on and off.

I have turned Sentry on under the "Security" settings tab, with the checkbox for sentry off at home.

When I get in the car, I see the dashcam icon and the sentry icon at the top of the screen. Sentry icon is gray (no red dot). If I hit the red dot, it appears to work for the drive and when I park somewhere. If I don't do that, the red dot never seems to appear and I don't think sentry is turning on automatically.

My understanding is that the security sentry mode on option should have it always on when parked. Do you all find you have to enable it each drive? When you park? Is there some trick to getting it to work like dashcam where you hook it up and it just works all the time without having to reactivate it on the MCU?

Yes - in the settings screen, go to Safety and Security -> Sentry. You have the option of turning it on/off as well as excluding it from coming on automatically at home/work/etc...

Once enabled on this screen, Sentry will automatically start each time the car is placed in park. Be forewarned though - Sentry mode does use some battery power so you will lose a little more range when the car is parked with it active.

That's what I did, but when I get back in the car, the sentry icon does not have the red dot in it indicating it is active. I drive somewhere, park and it is not red and when I get back still not red and nothing recorded despite there being events it should have alarmed on. If I tap the icon to give a red dot, it records things. Then I drive somewhere and the red dot is gone...