Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"sentry mode disabled due to sentry system error" ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Third day in a row getting this message on our MS. Car is MCU1/AP 2 so we don’t even have a USB drive to run video to. So doubt it’s related to any flashdrive issue.

Did notice that the timing of when it shuts off was around the same time of morning. 2019.32.11 installed on Sunday. Monday shutoff at 10:52 am; Tursday at 19:54am; and today at 11:06 am. Server maintenance maybe??

BTW same software version on my Model 3 and haven’t seen on my car although my car has been parked at home at those times and Sentry not on there.

I've been using a 500G Samsung T5 SSD with a 16G partition dedicated to music and the rest to my TeslaCam. I have a 2018 100D Model S AP2.5/ MCU1 (missed the MCU2 cutoff by 2 weeks) running 2019.32.11.1 and since upgrading to V10 I've been getting that error. It seems to happen about 4 hours after Sentry mode is enabled and has been happening twice every day while I'm at work. I exclude my home and work is the only place I'm parked long enough to experience the problem.

I've contacted Tesla support twice now. The first time they said the logs showed my car was requesting to go into a sleep cycle around the time of the error, but today when I called they passed my issue up to their advanced support and I got a call about 30 minutes later telling me that the logs indicate that my drive is too slow. I told them I don't see that as a possibility since my drive is way faster than it needs to be. They said they'd pass it back to advanced support so I'm just waiting for another call.

I think tomorrow I'm going to try and see what happens if I take the SSD out of my car so it has no where to write too so I can eliminate the "too slow" explanation.

• Informative
Reactions: hh83917
My Sentry Mode failed like clockwork about 4 hours after turning it on last night when I didn't have a drive in it writing video so Tesla's justification that my write speed is too slow is false. Called Tesla back with this info and they said I need to take it into a service center. I don't think they'll be able to figure out whats wrong with it since I doubt it's a hardware issue and is related to v10.

• Informative
Reactions: hh83917
I've been getting this consistently since the upgrade to v10. By consistently I mean a couple times a week.

I'm currently on the latest firmware 2019.32.12.2 and just got this on my phone a few moments ago. Fortunately, I have always been able to restart Sentry Mode from the mobile app and it has not caused an error in restarting.

2017 MS, AP2.5, MCU1

I've been getting this consistently since the upgrade to v10. By consistently I mean a couple times a week.

I'm currently on the latest firmware 2019.32.12.2 and just got this on my phone a few moments ago. Fortunately, I have always been able to restart Sentry Mode from the mobile app and it has not caused an error in restarting.

2017 MS, AP2.5, MCU1

djlott, out of curiosity are you recording video to a drive and is the rear camera feed included with the front and side cameras?

Hi,

Im on latest firmware 2019.32.12.2 and started getting this message week ago, more and more often. Now, even i have sentry disabled, my rear camera is showing black, ap and lane recognition is not working anymore.
Maybe first thing in the morning when i wake up the car it works for 10 mins, then nothing works for the rest of the day :/
I asked for appointment via app, and tesla sent me mail that they will make remote diagnostics on my car and get back to me. Still waiting for response. Not sure if its software or hardware related.

Third day in a row getting this message on our MS. Car is MCU1/AP 2 so we don’t even have a USB drive to run video to. So doubt it’s related to any flashdrive issue.

Did notice that the timing of when it shuts off was around the same time of morning. 2019.32.11 installed on Sunday. Monday shutoff at 10:52 am; Tursday at 19:54am; and today at 11:06 am. Server maintenance maybe??

BTW same software version on my Model 3 and haven’t seen on my car although my car has been parked at home at those times and Sentry not on there.

Exactly the same problem here with our 2016 MS AP2 / MCU 1 ever since V10 - it happens consistently ~4 hours after parking at work (not plugged in). If I turn it back on with the app, it works for another 4 hours and then I get the error again, so I don’t think it’s a server issue. No USB flash drive installed.

Exactly the same problem here with our 2016 MS AP2 / MCU 1 ever since V10 - it happens consistently ~4 hours after parking at work (not plugged in). If I turn it back on with the app, it works for another 4 hours and then I get the error again, so I don’t think it’s a server issue. No USB flash drive installed.

Hmm that’s interesting. Not seeing a repeating situation however so that’s very weird. BTW the notification/shut off is still happening for my husband even after his update yesterday to 2019.32.12.2. He had really hoped it would fix it. He parked car at a parking lot today and we got the notification at 10:51am. If I see it on my phone I’ll turn it back on for him. He’ll do so himself but a lot of the time he’ll be in a meeting and it’s highly annoying to do so then.

As mentioned 3/2017 MS MCU1, AP2 so no USB device for TeslaCam/Sentry Mode.

I just got a message from Tesla Mobile Service. They say the problem is known and they are working on it. Here's their message.

Good Afternoon,

There is no hardware issue with your Model S. The issue has been tied to v10 and is under investigation. The impact is the Driver assistance system resets, so functionally you will lose roughly 15 seconds of video recording in Sentry Mode. Functions before and after this reset are not impacted. This is a known issue scheduled to be fixed in firmware 2019.32.12.3 in the near future, please monitor behavior after new firmware is installed. Also, please allow your Model S to sleep.

Turn off Sentry mode
Remove USB
Allow vehicle to sleep

To prevent issue repeating: Recommend customer set Sentry settings to exclude home (Controls > Safety & Security > exclude home checkbox).
Note: Home must be stored in Nav for this exclusion to work.

Hope this helps,
Tesla Service

I have Model X 90D 2017 model, i believe MCU2. I had the version 10 update a couple weeks ago. I was on a trip to Savannah GA from Atlanta and decided to plug in my Samsung flash drive with music in it to listen. After about 100 mile drive there was some dashboard warning and it sent a sentry mode failure notification to my cell phone and completely disabled my auto steering and cruise control. I pedalled through 200 miles all the way without cruise control and rebooted the car a couple of times. Nothing helped. Finally after a night spent in Savannah i kind of revisiting what i did that may have caused this issue. I removed the flash drive when i was going out for dinner, and noticed the auto steering became available. I think the new software updates and flash drive fuctionality are not syncing and causing issues. Hope they can rectify soon, and hope they get me MCU3 retrofitted. Just to share with some of you folks my experiences. Happy holidays!