Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode is Useless...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, seems a little odd but below 20% and no Sentry Mode, even when AC charging. I have never tied it (or more likely don't remember 🤔 🤪) on SCing but I bet it is the same.

used to annoy me too. in the old days you couldnt turn on camper mode if you were below 20%. So when I was traveling and arrived at a charger with 0% I had to plug into the AC outlet and then do the old neutral gear chinanigans to get the AC to stay on at night. 0 to 20% would obviously take 90min or so or an AC outlet id rather spend sleeping....

So pissed right now...I live in the NYC and park my car overnight at a city charger when I need to charge it, and found this the next morning:

View attachment 980174

Of course car alarm did not go off and sentry mode caught none of it. Seriously fed up with Teslas gimmick software meant to fool people into thinking it adds great value to your car.

I have HUNDREDS of sentry clips in my drive of random people walking by the car all day in the city (literally 100 vids a day which make it impossible to even find anything useful), and it does not catch the one time someone backs in an destroys the front end. How the hell is the algorithm biased towards people and not pick up a whole car backing into it...
Yep. It sucks. It's completely and utterly unreliable. What is the actual mode? Does it record an hour a day and then quit, or does it simply randomly record? Today, I think I lost something when I was trying to fix my tire. I thought, I'll look at Sentry Mode see if maybe one of my neighbors.... And..... I have yesterday, I have this morning, this evening, stuff from 2023. But the relevant time this afternoon? Nothing. And this isn't new. In 2021 I witnessed a head on collision right in front of my Model Y. I clicked to save it, but when the police officer was there, the clip couldn't be found in the menu. I only found it later on my laptop. In 2022 a semi truck crossed a lane and clipped my fender and then took off. There was a state police car right there so I pulled over. Sentry Mode? I was at 17%, it wasn't working, and this was the first time I learned about this. I was also less than 5 miles from the Supercharger my Tesla was FSD navigating to. I guess if we want dash cam video we're going to have to install dash cams because Tesla Sentry Mode is a joke.

Yep. It sucks. It's completely and utterly unreliable. What is the actual mode? Does it record an hour a day and then quit, or does it simply randomly record? Today, I think I lost something when I was trying to fix my tire. I thought, I'll look at Sentry Mode see if maybe one of my neighbors.... And..... I have yesterday, I have this morning, this evening, stuff from 2023. But the relevant time this afternoon? Nothing. And this isn't new. In 2021 I witnessed a head on collision right in front of my Model Y. I clicked to save it, but when the police officer was there, the clip couldn't be found in the menu. I only found it later on my laptop. In 2022 a semi truck crossed a lane and clipped my fender and then took off. There was a state police car right there so I pulled over. Sentry Mode? I was at 17%, it wasn't working, and this was the first time I learned about this. I was also less than 5 miles from the Supercharger my Tesla was FSD navigating to. I guess if we want dash cam video we're going to have to install dash cams because Tesla Sentry Mode is a joke.
So what is sentry mode good for if it is not receding accidents. Like do people ever get caught and have to pay ?