Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode not detecting events

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody had any issues on their car where sentry mode events just aren't being detected/captured? This issue seems to have started a little under a week ago (never had issues up until then, and I've had the car for about 2 months now). Multiple times this week I've been parked in a busy parking lot for about 2 hours. I park, and there are no cars parked near me, and when I leave there are now cars next to me on both sides, in which people have gotten out of said cars but nothing was captured. no notification on the screen, nothing if I go into the saved clips. It's like nothing was recorded at all. I also tested it at work. I walked by the front and sides of my car (left my phone in the office) went back inside to grab my phone, went back to my car, got inside, and nothing.

I've tried to reboot the car, remove and re-plug the microSD (using the SanDisk high endurance with SanDisk adapter), tried to reformat the drive. I know the dash cam is working because it shows its recording, and if I honk or manually save a clip, it will save without issue and I can play it back, and shows the red dot on the recording from where I saved the clip. I tried using the factory tesla USB but didn't seem to help. I do have a 2nd SanDisk adapter and a SanDisk max extreme card I was going to test with today just for the hell of it, but not sure that will make any difference.

Any ideas?

Are you able to remotely access the Sentry camera using the phone App?

Note: You should get a dashcam:
- Sentry don't allow you to select the detection sensibility, so you cannot isolate for example a posted light at night who might trigger events.
- Sentry only save the recording when an event get detected while a dashcam is constantly recording.

Reactions: SkunkApe
Are you able to remotely access the Sentry camera using the phone App?

Note: You should get a dashcam:
- Sentry don't allow you to select the detection sensibility, so you cannot isolate for example a posted light at night who might trigger events.
- Sentry only save the recording when an event get detected while a dashcam is constantly recording.
Yeah, I can access the sentry camera using the app.

Well for me, Sentry mode has been completely unusable for well over a year now.

Support won't be of any help whatsoever, keep saying "yeah the next update fixes it", but it never ever does. If anything it's even worse now.

The most functional it's ever been this past month is I had Sentry Mode on while my car was charging for 3h. When I got back to my car to unplug it after it was done charging, I hopped in and checked Sentry mode. Said it recorded 78 events, went in the viewer and it was 0 clips

Reactions: SkunkApe
Over the weekend, the front camera picked up some events, but not all. Very sporadic, but again, side and rear cameras picked up nothing. Went out for a bit in the afternoon, parked in a very big/busy lot. At the time I parked there was no cars parked on either side of me, but when I got back to my car, cars showed up on both sides. No sentry mode events whatsoever. Cleary it should have picked up the cars pulling in, the people getting out of their car, etc., but zero events.

Ended up making a service appt for this Friday, but I really don't have high hopes.