Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode not Recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New '23 Model Y. The car came with USB stick plugged in. I've tried formatting it but still no luck.

Car will report 3 sentry events when I get in, I click the notification, and it displays zero recorded videos.

Anyone know what's up?

Take the usb drive and check on the computer. There's a glitch sometimes and formatting it in the car does not make the folder required for it to work.

1. Format the USB drive as exFAT, MS-DOS FAT (for Mac), ext3, or ext4 (NTFS is currently not supported).
  2. Create a base-level folder titled TeslaCam and for use with Track Mode (if equipped), the USB drive must contain a base-level folder called TeslaTrackMode. You can use one USB drive for Dashcam, Sentry Mode, Track Mode (if equipped),, and audio files, but you must create separate partitions for each folder on an exFAT USB drive.
  3. Once formatted, insert the USB drive into a front (or glovebox, if equipped) USB port. Do not use a rear USB port because they are only for charging devices. It may take a few seconds for the vehicle to recognize the USB drive.
  4. Once recognized, ensure icons for Dashcam and Sentry Mode are available when you touch Controls. Your vehicle is now ready to record videos.

Reactions: Carl86
Take the usb drive and check on the computer. There's a glitch sometimes and formatting it in the car does not make the folder required for it to work.

1. Format the USB drive as exFAT, MS-DOS FAT (for Mac), ext3, or ext4 (NTFS is currently not supported).
  2. Create a base-level folder titled TeslaCam and for use with Track Mode (if equipped), the USB drive must contain a base-level folder called TeslaTrackMode. You can use one USB drive for Dashcam, Sentry Mode, Track Mode (if equipped),, and audio files, but you must create separate partitions for each folder on an exFAT USB drive.
  3. Once formatted, insert the USB drive into a front (or glovebox, if equipped) USB port. Do not use a rear USB port because they are only for charging devices. It may take a few seconds for the vehicle to recognize the USB drive.
  4. Once recognized, ensure icons for Dashcam and Sentry Mode are available when you touch Controls. Your vehicle is now ready to record videos.

I just got my first Tesla, a 2018 Model 3 Long Range RWD and couldn't get Sentry Mode to record. This fixed the issue! Thank you so much for posting this. :) My 1TB SSD had already been formatted through the car, but I did it again using my Mac. I simply created the folder TeslaCam and it worked!

Reactions: Fusion
New '23 Model Y. The car came with USB stick plugged in. I've tried formatting it but still no luck.

Car will report 3 sentry events when I get in, I click the notification, and it displays zero recorded videos.

Anyone know what's up?
Did you solve your Sentry Mode not recording issue?

Unfortunately my method only worked for a short while. :( I ended up getting the Tesla 128GB USB stick, and even that didn't work! Dashcam records just fine on the Tesla stick though. Anyone else know a workaround? I've tried using the Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB Micro SD card with both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 adapters (since I have a 2018 M3) and both of those did not work at all. The 1TB SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD worked for a bit, but it does get hot and probably led to writing failure. Not sure if a better quality storage device would fix the issue. I suppose I could keep trying different SSDs and flash drives, but it's a bit of a hassle.

I’ve gotten multiple scratches on my car and wasn’t able to catch the fuxxer that did it. I REALLY want my Sentry Mode to record! Sorry, a little annoyed. haha