Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Vid of person denting my car - what should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have video, including an extremely clear shot of the license plate, of someone dinging my car. It's a significant ding - probably a few hundred to pull out and then it will need to be repainted. It feels like it goes down to the metal.

So, what should/can I do? I'm guessing I can't really get the Police involved, can I? Doesn't seem like something they would care about. It seems like if I involve my insurance company, it will somehow end up costing me more.

#Stuck :(

You can absolutely file a police report. Most jurisdictions do small damage/theft reports online now. Then take it to insurance, which should be a not-at-fault claim since you have the other persons info.

I had this same exact thing happen. Called my insurance, sent the video, and they did a carrier lookup to find the other vehicle's insurance and had them cover the cost of the damage. I took it to my Tesla service center to get a quote and because it was only a small chip of paint with no dent, they actually repaired it for no charge. Was a surprisingly smooth process.

As others have mentioned, my insurance also said this is considered a hit and run. Though not sure if that's still the case if they didn't notice their door hitting you.

I have video, including an extremely clear shot of the license plate, of someone dinging my car. It's a significant ding - probably a few hundred to pull out and then it will need to be repainted. It feels like it goes down to the metal.

So, what should/can I do? I'm guessing I can't really get the Police involved, can I? Doesn't seem like something they would care about. It seems like if I involve my insurance company, it will somehow end up costing me more.

#Stuck :(

Hi,
Call the police.it's important to file a police report and File an insurance claim.