Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor carpark dings caught on sentry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m usually not too fuss about these little car park dings and light scratches but when the car just returned from a major repair, and this happens, it’s very frustrating. The sentry cam caught the other party in the act but since it was the side view, the rego was captured on a different footage. Both clearly identifiable as the same person. My question is, what can be done about this? Lodging a claim with my insurance (NRMA will make me pay the excess first and then refund afterwards once the other party admit fault. This was the process for the recent side swipe claim that just got repaired). Though I don’t have details of the other party (apart from the rego). Do I have to file a police report first? What does everybody else do in these situation?

Reactions: jq371
That probably depends on the extent of the damage. If the contact was so minor that the other party might not have realised any meaningful damage was done, I don't think the police should be involved. If you think they knew they damaged your car and decided not to leave their contact details, then police might be appropriate.

Sorry you had to go through this. I had someone just blatantly sideswipe my rear quarter panel in a previous parked car and not leave details. It would have been very obvious that they had hit me. I couldn't do anything because there was no surveillance. People who do that sort of thing should be fined and/or removed from society - preferably by catapult.

If you can identify the rdgo etc id let your insurance people know so they can follow up and claim against them.

I see more and more people seemingly not care about anyone else but themselves snd if we dont hand them up it normalises it so they do it more.

I see this a lot in traffic too, its no accident they dont even look when entering a road from a side street, they just assume that if there was anyone coming that they will stop for them, maybe toot the horn but thats about it. You see it a lot on that dashcam youtube channel. Lock the brakes up to miss someone and they just keep driving like its no big deal.

Same in carparks, they dont care about their own property so why would they care about yours?

I was sitting in my previous car once waiting to pick my lad up from work when a lady pulled into the park next to me. I had reversed in so she was in eye sight. She opens her door, it hits my door, she then leans on the door handle to get out, pushing her door further into mine. She gets out and walks off. Did not care. I get out of my car, look at the scratch. She looks back at me but keeps walking. I walked to the front of her car, took pictures of her and her rego and car etc.
This made her mad. She started banging on sbout how i cant take photos of her or her property (which you most certainly can in a public place) i asked her to apologise for what she did to my car.
She said “get over it”
So i let her know she can expect a call from my insurance people and she can get over that.

Did.not.care. Obviously does it all the time but never been called out.

People need to be called out because one day it either becomes normal and society suffers, or they do it to the wrong person who will be less restrained in their comeuppance

If it looks intentional, id follow it up. Collate the 4 camera footage and give it to insurance or police. They might have a few other complaints already and they might go pay them a visit at home, during dinner time in front of the family would work well. Might be just the attitude adjustment they need.

We had someone deliberately scratch the LHS of our Model Y.

Luckily for us, it was all caught on sentry cam plus some saved footage of the rego of the other party.

If took the police 5 months in Vic from receiving footage to finalising their report for insurance company.

Since this was clearly intentional, they came around front first with key in position. We wanted the police to press for charges. In the end the other party had their day in court (9 months later)

They opted for a "diversion program" whereby they admit guilt and pay all damages in return for no criminal conviction, they also have to be good little people for 12 months as well.

In the end if it was clearly malicious than ensure 5he full force of the law is brought against them to teach people a lesson!

We had someone deliberately scratch the LHS of our Model Y.

Luckily for us, it was all caught on sentry cam plus some saved footage of the rego of the other party.

If took the police 5 months in Vic from receiving footage to finalising their report for insurance company.

Since this was clearly intentional, they came around front first with key in position. We wanted the police to press for charges. In the end the other party had their day in court (9 months later)

They opted for a "diversion program" whereby they admit guilt and pay all damages in return for no criminal conviction, they also have to be good little people for 12 months as well.

In the end if it was clearly malicious than ensure 5he full force of the law is brought against them to teach people a lesson!
And as a result of your actions who knows how many more teslas have been spared from being scratched by these morons.

Thank you for following thru!

Thank you for following thru!
It was quite funny for the initial report as it was about 5 days after it happened.

They initially told me CCTV fron the carpark would be grainy to do anything and was shocked when I had footage. They assume aftermatket.

Once they sat in the car and watched the event unfold on the screen, they changed their tune.

I think they will ask you to file a police report for all hit and runs. That's the only way they can get the registered owner details. If it's minor I'd say not worth the hassle and move on.
My mum recently returned to her car to find a note under the windscreen from a witness who saw the other car reverse into it causing minor damage. Building CCTV captured the incident and the rego, and she filed a police report and then a claim with AAMI.

AAMI initially wanted her to pay an excess but she stood her ground given that she had a police report and rego, and they relented.

FWIW I wouldn't expect the same treatment from NRMA. A mate recently had a elderly parent hit his classic pride and joy. His mum's insurer paid out within a week, NRMA decided to put a private investigator on to my mate which included an interrogation. Nightmare stuff.