Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woke up to my delivery date changing from 12/25-12/31 to 1/13-2/10. Was 12/25-12/31 for several weeks. Very disappointing.
Dammit. You made me look at my account and it has changed from December 15-31 to January 4 - February 1.

It got pushed back and widened from two weeks to almost a month. I'm very surprised considering I live 70 miles from the Fremont factory and would be low hanging fruit for the end of quarter push. But some other Californians on here saw their EDD pushed back too, so I shouldn't be surprised.

What I would really like is certainty, so I can plan on when to sell my current car. At least I would qualify for the tax credit, if it should pass, which is looking less likely.

EDD to East coast (MA) just changed from Dec 17-31 to Feb 8 to Mar 8...was previously Jan 10-Feb 3.
I am quite startled to see a 9/10 order move from December to as late as March in a matter of 8 days in 2 successive EDD updates. There is no rhyme nor logic to such vast changes in EDD. A parrot reading tarot cards would do a better job than the Tesla EDD scheduling system.

Reactions: pgcoco and Tararua
Dammit. You made me look at my account and it has changed from December 15-31 to January 4 - February 1.

It got pushed back and widened from two weeks to almost a month. I'm very surprised considering I live 70 miles from the Fremont factory and would be low hanging fruit for the end of quarter push. But some other Californians on here saw their EDD pushed back too, so I shouldn't be surprised.

What I would really like is certainty, so I can plan on when to sell my current car. At least I would qualify for the tax credit, if it should pass, which is looking less likely.
I would not recommend taking any action based on the flimsy EDD system. Once you get your VIN, then would be the time to start taking quotes, moving funds etc. I am very skeptical that the BBB will pass this year. It is already December. If they attach income considerations like they have in for electric bikes, a majority of those in these forums are unlikely to qualify.

Reactions: Michael Y 2020
More likely than not. I had time to go through June-July-August threads. Tesla is forcing those who booked early but had hold or updated their profile late are being pulled from February/March to giving them straight a VIN. This has also resulted in pushing to January some August booking with a Jan-Feb EDD. Earliest I can expect a VIN is mid-January.

Except that this thread shows quite plainly that there is no shortage of takers. There are probably a dozen people just here who'd take delivery at the first opportunity in December and damn the torpedoes. That's reiterated in Model 3 threads, etc. Tesla's recent wave of 2-3 month EDD delays isn't being driven by people postponing orders (otherwise all of us listed for December a week back and keen to take deliver would still be listed for December). It's simply because Tesla hasn't invested the resources to design a system that comes close to working.
The people on these threads are not representative of typical Tesla buyers. Not even close. We are more emotionally invested in the vehicles. And a tiny, tiny fraction of those with orders in. Otherwise you would see comments from literally hundreds of thousands of people here.
And..more typical buyers, it seems certain, are statistically more likely to take a reasonable chance at $8,000 as far too serious to blow off.

Last edited:
Reactions: cusetownusa
The people on these threads are not representative of typical Tesla buyers. Not even close. We are more emotionally invested in the vehicles. And a tiny, tiny fraction of those with orders in. Otherwise you would see comments from literally hundreds of thousands of people here.
And..more typical buyers, it seems certain, are statistically more likely to take a reasonable chance at $8,000 as far too serious to blow off.
I agree with you. Wife and I had a discussion about the possible tax credit and placing a hold on our delivery as it was 2-3 months before we expected. In the end, I'd rather not take the chance of getting the order canceled on the possibility of the tax credit passing. The delta between what we paid, and the current price leaves 3k on the table IF the credit passes.

I agree with you. Wife and I had a discussion about the possible tax credit and placing a hold on our delivery as it was 2-3 months before we expected. In the end, I'd rather not take the chance of getting the order canceled on the possibility of the tax credit passing. The delta between what we paid, and the current price leaves 3k on the table IF the credit passes.
It’s tough... and that is totally fair....your delta at least helps, and makes a decision to accept delivery before there is a decision from Congress more palatable .... I would be leaving , $6K on the table, but my EDD is early March, so I almost feel the decision is out of my hands. Almost.

My main point was, things are going to get a little nutty for Tesla and maybe us if BBB arguing goes into January.

It’s tough... and that is totally fair....your delta at least helps, and makes a decision to accept delivery before there is a decision from Congress more palatable .... I would be leaving , $6K on the table, but my EDD is early March, so I almost feel the decision is out of my hands. Almost.

My main point was, things are going to get a little nutty for Tesla and maybe us if BBB arguing goes into January.
I'm also in the same boat as some of the others. If the EV credit was a sure thing, I would certainly delay for a bit. But I spoke to my wife (and some of my friends who work in congress) and they are not feeling optimistic on it passing this year. If it goes into next year, there's going to be more focus on midterms and then who knows. I'd rather not stress about losing my order.

Although, I'm sure right after I type this, they'll pass the bill and our car will get delivered tomorrow.

I'm also in the same boat as some of the others. If the EV credit was a sure thing, I would certainly delay for a bit. But I spoke to my wife (and some of my friends who work in congress) and they are not feeling optimistic on it passing this year. If it goes into next year, there's going to be more focus on midterms and then who knows. I'd rather not stress about losing my order.

Although, I'm sure right after I type this, they'll pass the bill and our car will get delivered tomorrow.
It's possible. It's also possible they gut the EV credit or don't pass the bill at all.

When we ordered in Sep, the credit wasn't a factor. It would be nice but it didn't sway the purchase.

My 11/10/21 model y order that was supposed to be March/April 22 now coming 12/16/21. I refused as I stipulated that I did not want to order until 4086 batteries from Austin would be available. Tesla rep said I would be golden. He was wrong. BTW I did not get an email or text. I found out by going to the website and checking order status because the estimated delivery date disappeared!