Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious... why some are hoping for a Texas built Y vs Fremont built Y...?
There has been info leaked about the upgrades to the MY's that will be built at the new BERLIN gigafactory (see below) and many hope the same upgrades will also apply to MY's coming from the Texas gigafactory. Some of these features were recently introduced the MY's being buiit in China.

Reactions: Michael Y 2020
Texas Built Y would 100% come from the GigaPress with single body construction.

Fremont would mean it's possibly built the old way. The Fremont factory was a former Toyota factory (used to make the Matrix, interestingly enough the last new car I bought) so the construction line is really built to be more of the traditional model of building ICE cars.

Texas, and any GigaPress factories, are essentially rewriting the car building process to make it work best for EVs like Tesla, where an ICE isn't part of the equation.

Now let's break down the benefits. One big part for Texas is the GigaPress producing a single body construction frame vs. the Factory line. If you're not familiar with what a GigaPress is, it creates molds of the car frames (it's like they're 3D printing the car frame as compared to bolting the pieces together.). For Tesla, single body means less parts. The Texas builds will be optimized much like China, which means, less moving pieces, etc.. Again, for Tesla, this reduces their costs. Not really my concern.

What IS my concern is that the new body construction is much safer than the traditional method, in particular when it comes to rear body impacts. This is increased if they integrate the battery pack as planned. The fewer parts bit also means fewer things to go wrong on my panel gap check list.

When Tesla has gone to new plants (Shanghai data has shown this) quality control has gone up exponentially. They've done a great job of learning from the past. Given Tesla owners are the only ones known to have to show up with 60-point checklists for a brand new car, this is not a minor thing.

This excludes discussion around the battery - there was a chance that we could get the new battery packs (4680 cells) in the new cars. Again, integrated with the car making it more efficient, safer - but could also offer greater range (but that is if Tesla were to put the same number of cells in the car vs. reducing them.). Battery upgrades feel like more of a Willy Wonka golden ticket at this point.

In summary, anything built from Texas means that it has the benefit of everything Tesla has learned from the building process across all of their plants and now you have it built the best way possible. Fremont was their first plant to get things up and running. So there is more confidence in a car built from Texas even tho it's a brand new plant that hasn't produced cars yet.

Texas plant likely to introduce new front and rear castings, and possibly new battery pack, along with other refinements. In general we've tended to see each new plant make progress on quality once it's up to speed (China built Model 3's are in some ways nicer than Fremont ones). Germany and Texas plants likely to learn from an improve on processes/equipment in place at Fremont and Chine

It is going to be Eons before the Texas plant reaches steady state manufacturing of Model Y's.
Agreed on steady state. There will be ones sent from both for a while. But in early 2022 I think it is anticipated they will start shipping out of Texas.

And there are people like me who would be happy to have the coin land on Texas.

(Also would love to see them upgrade to the Yoke on the Model Y in their everquest of simplifying parts but alas, I think I'm pipedreaming there.)

I love the yoke. You can also get one after market. I watched a YouTube, and it looks pretty easy to install. But cost around $800-$1000
I would totally pay $1,000 to get a regular wheel if it came with the yoke. I always looked as being open minded, but the yoke is definitely not on my wish list. Having said that... it does look cool!

Changing back the subject to Austin, I have mixed feelings about it. My EDD is Jan-Feb, so that would likely mean getting one from the early batch, which could potentially have more QA issues than Fremont. Who knows?

One think is for sure, this is a very different car buying experience. I love the fact it is online, no salesman hassle, no negotiation, but then it is like you are in a lottery. No one really knows anything and you just wait for months. This is crazy at this price tag.

Good question. Personally I would be concerned about early production issues from Austin, and would prefer Fremont in the first 6 months that Austin comes online.
As with any good company, they should all learn from their mistakes. Fremont initially had a few issues to iron out as the MY rolled out. I'll bet since Elon Inc are pretty 'stupid', they would have TX 'up to date' with build quality and all the lessons gleaned from Fremont. Plus, initial TX deliveries will be with the front and rear castings; Fremont will have to update their manufacturing line to get in line w TX. That leads me to think that Fremont might stop the MY line until this updated is complete; so someone from tim-buck-too could theoretically receive a MY from TX while being closer to the Fremont plant; or they could just have their EDD bounced back until Fremont matches the TX plant. I'll even bet some people will delay their order to ensure a A in their VIN, or until Fremont gets their new front/rear castings 'done'.

On our way back from Yosemite yesterday, just as we crossed into Orange County, I spotted a full load of Ys and 3s on the freeway. Right at the front was my exact Y build, tow hitch and all! I was hoping for an update today, which I received, but not what I was hoping for. Date pushed from Dec 22 - 31 to Dec 25 - 31. So definitely not coming before Xmas. Boo.

…Fremont will have to update their manufacturing line to get in line w TX. That leads me to think that Fremont might stop the MY line until this updated is complete…
I tend to agree with this theory, but I think that would only happen after TX ramps up, so mid-2022’sh? Certainly not the first few months in 2022. By that time I would HOPE to have my MYLR.