Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sequestering carbon by land restoration and reforestation in Iceland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Growing trees to sequester carbon is a good short term goal, but all trees die, and when they die their sequestered carbon returns to the environment. Net Zero Result.

And it’s not even that good of a ‘short term’ goal since it takes years for trees to mature and reach peak growth...

We need to stop using fools fuel.

You’re probably not ‘most people’; Most people will be less likely to invest in reducing their use of fools fuel if they just planted 100 trees. Sad but true....

“Most people” don’t equal those who frequent this forum. Since getting a Tesla and investing time to read this forum, my level of commitment toward reducing carbon footprint has gone up exponentially. I also really don’t like to be lumped into categories. Thank you and @Uncle Paul - I just doubled what I was going to give. I grew up donating to plant trees in an arid place...that was less logic than religion. I see no reason not to have both.

Hi Karen,
Just sent a small donation. I do have a special request though...

Can you please set up a web streaming 8k continuous video feed so we can all watch this happen in real time? Just for maybe the next 20 years or so till the trees mature a bit. ;)

Bur seriously, I would like you to plant at least one birch tree somewhere. I spent a lot of time in Northern Wisconsin a long time ago and there were lots of birch trees. The "why are there no trees in Iceland" link I posted earlier also said there were many Birch trees in Iceland back in the old days.

Please post occasional pictures so we can monitor the progress. Do whatever is best for the restoration if there is anything left over after you get the RubberToe Birch tree planted. :D

RT

I bought two trees today and brought them home in our LEAF ;-)
Wish me many more.

I'm not opposed to planting trees (So long as they don't shade a solar panel ;)). I'm just opposed to promoting it as a way to mitigate climate change. Just like I'm not opposed to healthy eating... I'm just opposed to promoting it as a way to prevent the spread of measles.

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd
Growing trees to sequester carbon is a good short term goal, but all trees die, and when they die their sequestered carbon returns to the environment. Net Zero Result.

That's not how reforestation works.

You take land without forest, which used to be land with forest. Which is a lot of land. Then you plant trees to make a forest and it remains forest unless destroyed by humans (directly or indirectly).

Trees die, and more trees grow to replace them. In the meantime the dead trees decompose. Slowly.

When a Tree Falls in a Forest | Winter 2015 | Knots and Bolts
Tree People said:
The computer model calculates that the “residence times” (how long a tree will take to completely decompose) for conifer species range from 57 to 124 years, while hardwood species are typically around on the forest floor for 46 to 71 years. Warmer, more humid environments promote faster decay than cooler, drier climates.

The problem with the "It's ok, I planted a tree" mentality is that it doesn't address the systemic inefficiencies and scale of energy use.

Last edited:
We can't squander our moral capital.... the focus MUST be on reducing the use of fossil fuel. FULL STOP.

Elon Musk's stated purpose in life, and Teslas, is to electrify the world's transportation infrastructure. I have been on board with this from the moment I read that. I bought a 2000 Honda Insight, since it was the world's most fuel efficient vehicle. Prius after that, and a Soul EV. I stood in line for 4 hours on March 31, 2016 in order to hand Elon and Tesla $60,000 to lend my hand to the mission. I am all in, FULL STOP.

Having said that, I don't think that helping Karen restore 8 hectares of land in Iceland is in any way causing me to lose focus on what needs to be done. I'm sure many others here are in the same boat. I encourage everyone I know to buy a Tesla, the best car you could ever own.

Just my $0.02. No harm in helping Karen out. I can't afford another Model 3 in any case. ;)

RT

P.S. If I ever came into some real money, the "greater good" would be getting some seriously Supercharged attention. Covering every roof in Los Angeles county is the first project.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Pollux and Fred42
I agree; But.... the science says there IS harm in promoting tree planting as a way to mitigate AGW. Just my $0.02...
The claims in the article you linked to are not "science". They are predictions of the effects of a theoretical policy based on assumed societal behavior. The predictions and assumptions may or may not be correct. They are not science.

The claims in the article you linked to are not "science". They are predictions of the effects of a theoretical policy based on assumed societal behavior. The predictions and assumptions may or may not be correct. They are not science.

Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 10.45.57 PM.png

Karen is trying to do what she can with what she has to work with. She can't change the world, but she can responsibly manage her 8 hectares, just as I try to responsibly manage my measly 6 acres, two-thirds of which have become woodland with tall trees in the years I've owned it. If every person did what they could, this and other problems would be solved.

And I think we agree that what's needed in the big picture is to stop the CO2 emissions.

@nwdiver;

It is the CARBON CYCLE.
We will need to do EVERYTHING we can think of to have much of an impact.

Shipping (trucks & ships) and AirPlanes AND the US Military still the largest buyer/user of Oil products - not to mention pollution. (and the "greening of the military" another distraction.

Plastics
Fertilizers - this industry has been under reporting by a factor of 100x of Methane pollution.
NG pipeline leaks
Meat Production - water/land/chemical fertilizers
AC use

And you want to complain about trees? A not so small part of the carbon cycle problem is humans have nearly deforested the entire planet. Trees use to be most everywhere.

So without doing it all, we shall probably have ...
I stopped flying, stopped using my car (bike now and stay home in bad weather) but as I'm retarded or retired, I forget, easier for me than most.

So please don't complain just when people TRY to move back to a more natural world.
Without massive replanting of trees, I doubt the carbon cycle gets back to 250-350 range.

And you want to complain about trees? A not so small part of the carbon cycle problem is humans have nearly deforested the entire planet. Trees use to be most everywhere.

1) Restoring a forest is not a simple process and a lot of areas that have been cleared can no longer support a forest.

2) I think you're misunderstanding my position which is best outlined by the study in the article I linked to.

'Towards a cultural political economy of mitigation deterrence by negative emissions technologies (NETs)'

Essentially the promotion of mitigation strategies like tree planting end up leading to higher net emissions because most people will choose to participate in those in favor of more expensive but FAR more effective alternatives such as solar or driving an EV. The net effect is not desirable because that's not how people think.

If you've already kicked the fools fuel addiction and are looking to go further... cool; But most people are not in that position and we shouldn't be helping the fools fuel interests by adding distractions.....

Essentially the promotion of mitigation strategies like tree planting end up leading to higher net emissions because most people will choose to participate in those in favor of more expensive but FAR more effective alternatives such as solar or driving an EV. The net effect is not desirable because that's not how people think.
But that's not what a Karen is doing. So why is this relevant to this thread?