Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Serious ETA Error in Trip Planner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is what has started happening (see photo). The ETA is very wrong: 29 minutes for 3.0 miles. I turned on my Google Maps and it gave me an ETA of 3 minutes for this 3.0 miles. The destination is a supercharging stop, which is less than 0.2 miles off the Interstate. This kept happening with every charging stop, but not with the final destination. Also, there are no problems with the ETA on trips with no charging stops. The problem is new and I noticed it after the most recent update.

P.S. Sorry for the blurry photo.

20210312_224129.jpg

That's not right. Do you have the latest update? The last 2 updates have supposedly fixed bugs like that one. If you're on the latest software update, report that to Tesla. I'd like to know HOW, since I have no idea. I tried to make a suggestion, and the official Tesla forums are no longer available. They redirect you to a 'engage' site, which has no way to make suggestions either, so don't bother. The good news is the mileage is correct, and that's what I go by myself (never pay attention to the ETA, since it's never accurate anyway). Good luck.

Any chance that the ETA shown is because the car is telling you that full pre conditioning (to get max supercharging speed) will take 29 minutes?
That seems unlikely. It was never like that before. It has always shown ETA to the charger, without adding pre-conditioning time or charging time. In addition, the car never displays/calculates remaining time for pre-conditioning. Also in this instance, this was the third stop on a long trip and it started pre-conditioning 20 minutes before this picture. So I don't think it needed another half hour of pre-conditioning. Besides, when I arrived it started charging with 147kW at a 150kW charger. So I don't think this is pre-conditioning time.

That's not right. Do you have the latest update? The last 2 updates have supposedly fixed bugs like that one. If you're on the latest software update, report that to Tesla. I'd like to know HOW, since I have no idea. I tried to make a suggestion, and the official Tesla forums are no longer available. They redirect you to a 'engage' site, which has no way to make suggestions either, so don't bother. The good news is the mileage is correct, and that's what I go by myself (never pay attention to the ETA, since it's never accurate anyway). Good luck.
My current version shows: 2021.4.12. I have selected to get the updates the earliest and I immediately install them. I imagine this is the latest for SR+. I am going to try the voice command feature and say "bug report".

Yes! The mileage is correct and if I cancel the trip planner and navigate directly to the SC, it's fine. I wonder if it is mistakenly adding the charging time to the ETA (4 minutes to the charger plus 25 minutes of charging makes 29 minutes). But I didn't need 25 minutes at that SC that night, I needed 10 minutes. I hope I can properly report this. No big deal, but it is really bugging me. Wife is frustrated how much I bring it up :D

I've had my car for about a week and today is the first time I started getting weird ETA times, off by about a half hour and only on the last leg of my road trip. 30 minutes to go 4 miles was the estimate destination was my house.

I tried the "report bug" voice command. It just said "thank you for your feedback". I don't even know what got reported. Come on Tesla!!

I tried the "report bug" voice command. It just said "thank you for your feedback". I don't even know what got reported. Come on Tesla!!

Nothing got reported to Tesla. That (the bug report) doesnt go anywhere. It simply puts a pointer in the cars local log file, so if you ever take the car in for service and say "I reported a bug on X day when it happened" they can then pull the cars log file to look and see if there are error messages.

There isnt any real way to report this type of thing to tesla yourself. Your car automatically uploads tons of data to tesla, but we (the individual owners) do not have a way to provide feedback. We can make service appointments, but there is no way to say "I just want to tell you about this quirky thing", in any real meaningful way outside making a service appointment.

• Informative
Reactions: aminvahedian
I also get this bug, even if the destination is not a supercharger. I believe it depends on the length of the trip. It seems that the error gradually increases as you are driving. For a 100 mile trip the error gradually increases to about 20 minutes.

Model S on 2021.4.12

Hi everyone, I’m Dave from Madrid (Spain). I own a Model X (June ‘18 model) and experiencing the same wrong ETA issues than you. I’m also with 2021.4.12 software version.
I took this image yesterday reaching home on a 4h trip with a charging stop halfway. 55 mins to drive the last 6 miles...

Attachments

• B750B0C6-CB0B-4005-949F-064D4280AC55.jpeg
    B750B0C6-CB0B-4005-949F-064D4280AC55.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Informative
I reported this as a bug by scheduling a service appointment with a full description and a screen shot.
Several days later, someone at Tesla deleted the service appointment without comment.
Then, while I was parked doing errands, my car spontaneously did a deep reboot.
I wonder if someone at Tesla might have triggered the reboot to try to fix the problem. (remember, always try a reboot when things get weird)
I haven't had a chance to do a long trip yet to see if the bug is still there.
Some of you others might want to do a deep reboot and see if it fixes the problem.

I've had my car for about a week and today is the first time I started getting weird ETA times, off by about a half hour and only on the last leg of my road trip. 30 minutes to go 4 miles was the estimate destination was my house.

Experienced that on 4.12 and 4.12.1.

Maybe 4.12.2 will fix it, or maybe it's a bug on the Server software. I haven't had enough experience with 4.12.2 to know if that fixes it.

The workaround is to cancel your current route, and then reselect the route.

Reactions: Totallynotmike
I have had this happen a couple of times but when it does I noticed it was always on the way to a supercharger and the amount of time the ETA was off was the amount of time the route planner was saying I would be charging for. I know others have seen this not on route a charge, maybe the computer is somehow factoring in charging time in to random destinations.

Experienced that on 4.12 and 4.12.1.

Maybe 4.12.2 will fix it, or maybe it's a bug on the Server software. I haven't had enough experience with 4.12.2 to know if that fixes it.

The workaround is to cancel your current route, and then reselect the route.

Confirm that 4.12.2 doesn't fix this issue

Just drove back home from Chicago and it happened twice on the trip.

It slowly drifted out of sync with the ETA provided by Maps & Waze.

The workaround is effective and it doesn't continue to drift.

• Informative