Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SaloonGoon

2020 PD3+ 2021 PDY 2019 AUDI R8P
Nov 12, 2019
Bay Area
My Model 3 is at a bodyshop, and is in service mode. The shop put 14 miles on my car for some reason, some time in the last five days. I noticed on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Is there a way to see if they drove it hard? It’s a PD3+.

It’ll be interesting to see how they explain the mileage. Not happy at all!

14 miles... really? Wouldnt you expect a body shop to road test a car after repair to ensure everything is functional? I could understand if it was 50 or 100 miles, but..... shrug.

As for your question, I dont know of any way using stock tesla software to see where it went or how it was driven. If you subscribe to a service like teslafi or something, there may be some data you can get, but this isnt an ICE vehicle, so "driven hard" doesnt really do anything to the vehicle.

Reactions: SaloonGoon
Maybe I’m being petty, but 14 miles seems excessive for a road test, when no suspension parts were damaged.

As far as the power/drivetrain are concerned. There are mechanical parts that can wear prematurely due to abuse. There’s a reason valet mode exists. I don’t want people beating on my car

Reactions: PianoAl
My Model 3 is at a bodyshop, and is in service mode. The shop put 14 miles on my car for some reason, some time in the last five days. I noticed on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Is there a way to see if they drove it hard? It’s a PD3+.

It’ll be interesting to see how they explain the mileage. Not happy at all!
Should have put it in Valet mode and place a speed limit on it via the app. I always have it set to 60mph max when its in service.

If it was in Valet mode then they can't really beat on it. The acceleration sucks in Valet mode so if they wanted to slow boat around for 15 miles, go right ahead.

The question is: Does putting the car in service mode override valet mode?

Thats a good question. My (completely random) guess would be "yes, it does override it". With that being said, if the body shop one is going to thinks a random model 3 is somehow special enough to "beat on", by accelerating it hard repeatedly, your probably at the wrong body shop.

If its Tesla, well, they see those every day and it probably looks like a big mac to them (as in "completely common, nothing special"). If its any other body shop that works on teslas, they will have seen faster teslas (basically any performance model S for example).

Shrug..... I havent seen anything at all to suggest that hard acceleration does anything to these cars, unlike the audi the OPs info says they are coming from, for example.

Reactions: MLXXXp
Relax, they've thrashed more exciting cars than yours.
And the service center usually has to take it to a body shop 7 miles away so 14 miles would make sense.

this-gallery-wiill-spare-you-from-watching-a-nonsense-flying-tesla-model-x-video.jpg

Should have put it in Valet mode and place a speed limit on it via the app. I always have it set to 60mph max when its in service.

If it was in Valet mode then they can't really beat on it. The acceleration sucks in Valet mode so if they wanted to slow boat around for 15 miles, go right ahead.

The question is: Does putting the car in service mode override valet mode?

Thats a good question. My (completely random) guess would be "yes, it does override it". With that being said, if the body shop one is going to thinks a random model 3 is somehow special enough to "beat on", by accelerating it hard repeatedly, your probably at the wrong body shop.

If its Tesla, well, they see those every day and it probably looks like a big mac to them (as in "completely common, nothing special"). If its any other body shop that works on teslas, they will have seen faster teslas (basically any performance model S for example).

Shrug..... I havent seen anything at all to suggest that hard acceleration does anything to these cars, unlike the audi the OPs info says they are coming from, for example.

I’ve had a bad experience with a shop: they destroyed the DCT in my old GTR. I trust no one.

The car cannot be out in service mode with valet mode activated.

The car was exquisitely repaired, and Im very happy with the outcome.

Brooks Motor Cars in Fremont does outstanding work! 5 stars…