Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service put unrequested Pilot Super Sports (PSS) on my car (in December) but won't take them back.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

babydocmd

Supporting Member
Oct 26, 2017
Burlington, NC
Short version: My left headlamp went glitchy (only works consistently in the daytime) and both rear handles failed within a week. I scheduled service and told Tesla my front suspension was making noise when vehicle weight shifts. While I waited two weeks for service, I schedule the replacement of all my tires (Michelin Pilot Sport AS4). Two days before my service appointment (one day before tires), I pull out of the driveway and this happens. Expecting a potential 5-figure hit, I tell Tesla forget the janky headlamp ($1500). The next day it is towed to Tesla and they get to work immediately (I know that's shocking). First thing repaired is headlight. They send a new estimate by the app (but NOT email) for $7500. I skim it and agree but again tell them NOT the headlamp. They call back and say too late but then notice I told them previously to 'defer'. So their solution is to put my old headlamp back in. Fine. She then asks if I want the suspension fixed. I say of course cars don't work without a suspension. After the repair, they call noting the car will not update due to the headlamp fault. I say, fine don't update then. Unfortunately the suspension won't work correctly without the update so they replace the headlamp again. I arrive to pick up the car and notice Pilot Super Sports on the rear. I send Tesla a message about the unnecessary tires and drive home. I get my new AS4 installed and toss the PSS in the back. I try to schedule service for a Ranger to pick up the tires but the Tesla app has no way to capture that. Instead of waiting another two weeks for my appointment, I take the tires to Tesla yesterday. After waiting 90 minutes, a polite toady does the company line. I laugh when he says, "we can't put even lightly used tires on another car." I explain several times including pointing out that they have at least three different brands of all-season tires on new Teslas on the lot but not a single summer tire. But even if they did have a Plaid, they wouldn't put summer tires on the rear of a car in December with single digit temps on the way. He went back to his boss(es) and came back with an offer to refund ONE tire. "So what am I supposed to do with one PSS?" Oh it's like a spare. "Let me try this one more time, I don't use PSS anymore. I don't track. I don't drag race. I don't need a max performance summer tire 1, 2, or 4. And even if I did, I wouldn't put them on the car before a winter storm. Is that your best offer?" So I told him I was going to leave the two PSS by the Service door and if they don't refund my money I'm going to take a pound of flesh out of Tesla that's going to cost a lot more than $900.
front right suspension.jpg

Reactions: GeertAerts