Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting heat/cool - is i tpossible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering how others feel about the HVAC during days between seasons that are 'unseasonably' different. Today it was ~55 in New England. A deceptive number on the thermostat because the wind made it quite chilly. All winter I've used HVAC at 70 to warm the cabin but today 70 was pushing cool air out.

I had to push it all the way to 75 to get anything near warmth coming out of the vent. The other thing I've noticed is if I want warmth on my side but my husband likes it cooler, the overall temp coming from the vent is cooler. If I have it at 70 and he has it at 68 - the cooler air is more prominent. I have to put it more to 72/73 to feel warmth on my side unless I have air going to the footwells too. If air is going forward and to the footwells, 70 will be warm coming out of top and lower vent even if he has his at 68.

Does anyone else experience this? Does it matter that I need to set to 75 on warmer days, or that I have to create a bigger differential between the driver and passenger sides to overpower the cool setting?

I'm wondering how others feel about the HVAC during days between seasons that are 'unseasonably' different. Today it was ~55 in New England. A deceptive number on the thermostat because the wind made it quite chilly. All winter I've used HVAC at 70 to warm the cabin but today 70 was pushing cool air out.

I had to push it all the way to 75 to get anything near warmth coming out of the vent. The other thing I've noticed is if I want warmth on my side but my husband likes it cooler, the overall temp coming from the vent is cooler. If I have it at 70 and he has it at 68 - the cooler air is more prominent. I have to put it more to 72/73 to feel warmth on my side unless I have air going to the footwells too. If air is going forward and to the footwells, 70 will be warm coming out of top and lower vent even if he has his at 68.

Does anyone else experience this? Does it matter that I need to set to 75 on warmer days, or that I have to create a bigger differential between the driver and passenger sides to overpower the cool setting?

+1. Any automatic HVAC system that can both heat and cool need to have a "dead zone" where you just get air venting.

Yes, I realize this would complicate the UI quite a bit (you don't have a single temp, but rather a pair of temps), but at least on other vehicles with automatic HVAC there is a button (usually) to easily disable AC or HEAT.

+1. Any automatic HVAC system that can both heat and cool need to have a "dead zone" where you just get air venting.

Yes, I realize this would complicate the UI quite a bit (you don't have a single temp, but rather a pair of temps), but at least on other vehicles with automatic HVAC there is a button (usually) to easily disable AC or HEAT.
One of you should add or remove a article of clothing to get equal