Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SF to Toronto (7/30) and back (8/30)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just finished a round trip to Toronto area from SF.

No range anxiety, plenty of superchargers along the way. I did sometimes charge a bit extra, when I did not feel comfortable rolling in to the next super charger at 4%.

I did do some strategic (or so I thought) charging around motel stops.
If motel was near the supercharger, I would charge, before checking in, with enough range and a bit extra to make the next charger the next day.
If the motel was between chargers, I would always make sure I had a bit extra to drive around locally to food or shopping, to arrive at the next charger, next day.

Sometimes trip planner would say ok, at motel, 11% is good, but I always had to take into account that this was not my final destination and needed more juice to start the next day and reach the next charger.

I would use the in car planner to guess where I would be at the end of my travel day, I forgot (heading east) to account for the loss of 1 hr per time zone. I would book the motel with the motel's app ahead of time. There were several times this proved worth it, sometimes arrived late eve. (will plan earlier end of day next time) and I had a room, but the motel was booked.

Supercharger stops best to worst,
Best at travel centers or gas stations. Like Sinclair, Kumngo, etc. always had restrooms, coffee, snacks, food.

Second best at stores like, Meijr, Hy-Vee, Raleys. stores had restrooms, and well a store full of snacks and many had deli/hot food counters.

Least favorite was at motels (unless staying overnight), always felt awkward using the restrooms, like I was sneaking around. At this time covid was not a major concern, during that time, many motels closed their restrooms.

Autopilot worked well, but sometimes freaked out or did not always leave clearance for oversized loads. Yup, always pay attention.

Highway rest stops are great, not much diversion and easy on/off.

I have done other road trips from SF, to Dallas, to Washington, LA, Sierras, Big Bear, etc. but this was my longest so far.

I did not have charging at my destination.
I turned off sentry to save 3% day loss.
I was able to charge at a local j1772 for about 30-50min each time I went to the local store. gained back 2-3%
I was 15 min away from a local supercharger, did not use unless I went on a local trip, had to charge to and from sometimes.

Any other questions ?

IMG_1158.jpeg

IMG_1159.jpeg

Awesome (and inspiring). I am planning a Toronto to San Francisco return trip starting next week! I couldn't figure out the total number of days that this trip took including overnight stays. Also was the trip done solo or with a partner?
I was by myself.

It would be much better with another driver, I had to make sure to take rest breaks instead of alternating drivers and in car resting.

I have done the drive a few times in a gas car with another driver, once we just burned through the night, and once with one overnight stop for shower/refreshing.

I repeated roughly the same trip in 2023, SF Bay to Toronto and Back.

On the SF to TO trip,

1. I had some range estimator issues, it was way off, I reset the computer and monitored my speed a bit more.

2. Range was a bit tighter probably due to battery degradation, when I first got the car 100% showed 308 mi, now 100% is 265 mi. !!!

3. Ever since Tesla switched to Vision and did not use radar (presumably), my autopilot was un-useable !!
I had severe full stop phantom braking on I80 in NV and UT open road, no traffic.
I did not trust, would not use autopilot and drove manually on both to and from trips !!!
I called tesla support and reported it.
I had no such issues on my 2022 trip.

I also found out that here is no way to use manual cruise control, it is TACC or Autopilot only with my EAP optioned, and have to change when parked only. TACC still had phantom braking.

On the TO to SF trip the midwest was in the middle of a heat wave with over 100F with humidity
Trip estimator worked better, still not using autopilot, monitoring speed closely, at or slightly above posted, in states where the speed limit was over 80, I kept to -2 or +2, If I had extra % on the estimator, and got closer to charge stop, I increased mildly.

May repeat this year, 2024, in a 2024 M3 LR AWD, if I can convince myself to $$$

It was nice to read these posts since my trip in late 2022. I have since flown back and forth between TO and SF but remember my drive with fond memories. My Model S (P85D) is a lot older with 281K KM on its original battery. Back in 2022, I drove on winter tires and I was wondering if that was a good decision. Turns out that my segment between Salt Lake City and Sacramento included wicked snow storms, closed roads and limited access routes to cars wih snow tires and/or AWD. I did book 3 nights at hotels and most of them had L2 chargers which was fantastic. The problem now however is that with the popularity of EV's, these hotel chargers often fill up. I took a couple side trips to the Badlands and Mount Rushmore plus a forced overnight stop at Mammoth Lakes. Overall, my AP1 worked flawlessly. Didn't have to pay for any SC stops and my son got to claim milegae and hotel stops at work.