Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SGIP program in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, just wondering what will happen if I decided to do a powerwall in the near future.
In the "near future" don't expect anything from SGIP. If you're willing to wait and see what the next round of SGIP will be, you have a much better chance of getting something. However, I don't expect to hear anything about the new program until Fall 2019 and implementation in 2020.

In the "near future" don't expect anything from SGIP. If you're willing to wait and see what the next round of SGIP will be, you have a much better chance of getting something. However, I don't expect to hear anything about the new program until Fall 2019 and implementation in 2020.

According to Tesla, all of the rounds (aka SGIP Steps) for the current SGIP funded program are full for Tesla.

Source = Powerwall and California SGIP | Tesla Support

There is however more funding coming for SGIP, but it remains to be seen if that will be in Tesla favor, meaning that the developer cap is removed completely, or if it is increased, and what happens to the different STEPs, since Tesla is already at the max for each of the 5 Steps.

Bill 700 Source = Bill Text - SB-700 Self-generation incentive program.

Just received a call from PG&E on the SGIP program and the lady said that since it is a state program it will continue even with the BK on going. So hopefully at some point Tesla will have more money allocated from the legislation passed last August with an additional $800M to be able to install more Powerwalls.

Except for some brief reading I just did that was almost helpful, I know nothing about SGIP (I assume my salesperson never mentioned it because the Tesla queue is full). My Tesla solar + Powerwall system was installed in Oct 2018. Is there anything I can do to try to at least get in line for some of this incentive, or is it too late due to installation in 2018 or enormous queue?

I would assume sgip should be going (to the degree it can go anywhere outside PGE anyway) because the funding is the state's money really, not utility's. And especially since the money is already preallocated at some point early in the application process. I guess worst case SGIP will lay off some people who also happen to handle PGE's part of the process, but iirc they already charge 5% of rebate for it, so it's not exactly like they are doing it completely for free either... So i would think the risk of the process to stop because of PGE BK (rather than because of the state and quotas in general) is about as much as the risk of PGE stopping residential service