Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Share Tesla Wallcharger gen 3 with anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Wallcharger gen 3 has wifi, and could talk to tesla servers.

To spread out charging and make more chargers available, why does Tesla not support a "share" feature.

If i want, i can make my charger available for other tesla owners, and they then pay "me" for the use.

I know someone would say "Then tesla will sell less electricity at their charging stations" but what if they took a percentage of the price, those charging at my charger paid "me" and my payment would not be paid out onto my credit card, but instead put into an account where i could use them on their superchargers.

Most of the day, i am not at home, so if anyone visiting someone in my neighborhood wanted to charge their car, they could leave it in my driveway to charge.

I could then set up the hours where it would be allowed to charge, to the hours where i am not at home.

My house has 3 spaces in front of my house, so no one would be blocked from entering or leaving.

Tesla would get some of the profit, i would get some of the profit, and the users would be able to park closer to their destination, and since my "profit" would be kw's at the superchargers, Tesla would also be sure to get some of my profit.

Aside from the payment part, you can absolutely share your charger. The settings let you open your charger up to anyone (including the option of Tesla-only or non-Tesla too), or specific cars by ID. I have both of mine set up to be open for sharing. They're installed in the garage, just inside the doors, and the cable easily extends to the driveway for friends-n-family who might be visiting.

As for accepting payment: commercial registration is required (and minimum 6 wall connectors at the location, based on latest registration form). More info - Charging Partners | Tesla

See Plugshare to list your location for others to find. TBH, unless you have an unusually convenient location, you probably won't get many takers. People just aren't going to hunt down slow charging in a residential neighborhood. You could always solicit voluntary Venmo or Paypal payments (or ask them to donate to a favorite charity) in your listing. I suspect you'd take in much the same amount of money.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
See Plugshare to list your location for others to find. TBH, unless you have an unusually convenient location, you probably won't get many takers. People just aren't going to hunt down slow charging in a residential neighborhood. You could always solicit voluntary Venmo or Paypal payments (or ask them to donate to a favorite charity) in your listing. I suspect you'd take in much the same amount of money.
I know plugshare, i would just want to not deal with the hazzle of dealing with the whole monetary side of it.

If i were visiting someone "out of range" i would personally, much prefer to charge my car "slowly" (11 KW) while visiting, than have to stop for 20 minutes on my way home on a supercharger.

Better for the battery, easier for me :)

But maybe it is just me, and if so, i understand there would not be a lot of "business plan" in doing it this way.

Except for very limited cases (possibly test locations) I don’t think anyone has seen Wall Connectors that are collecting money in the wild.

I put in a request for more info a while ago and heard nothing. Was considering adding them at our office.