Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sharing referral codes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solution
Hey there, sorry I missed this thread.

For historical reference, when referrals had high value (you could get a Roadster!), we had a problem with many members spamming the forum with their referral codes. We also decided we didn't want the codes in signatures, since some folks would make unnecessary posts just so their code would show up more often (thus more spam). At the same time, we appreciate the value of being able to share/find referral codes on the forum. We started working on an unobtrusive solution, but then Tesla devalued the referrals making the issue moot. Recently, however, referrals have some moderate value again, so we added a space on your member profile where you can share it.

In short, you can enter your...
How about a link to our referral code outside of the forum?
And WTF, why????

No, you cant link it here, and its not allowed by the forum rules (mostly because pretty much every single person here has a referral code for something or other, and the forum would simply be a forum full of "use my referral code" posts

Reactions: doug
Upvote 0
How about a link to our referral code outside of the forum?
And WTF, why????
Because the entire thing devolves into a bunch of unhelpful BS that adds nothing of value to the community.

If you’re hungry for referral credits to get extra pairs of Tesla short shorts, then spam your IRL friends, not the rest of us.

Upvote 0
Can I PM members that have helped me requesting a referral code? Is that allowed?
I believe as long as it’s private it’s fine. You just shouldn’t be clogging up the public forums with referral code links.
Why did TMC want a referral code when I signed up?
You can add it to your forum profile and anyone that wants to can go find it and use it. You just can’t actively promote it and share it in posts because then every other reply would be a referral link.

Upvote 0
I'm not a moderator, but it is not ok to using a referral code in the signature. I've seen a few do it, and they are often banned once found.

Am curious to hear what moderators say about that, and if it’s possible to confirm the answer to my question. With all due respect, if that’s true, that makes no sense at all as I don’t see how it may impact the forum if people just slap a short small font referral link in the signature. Just makes no sense to me if that’s true as there is no harm whatsoever.

Upvote 0
Hey there, sorry I missed this thread.

For historical reference, when referrals had high value (you could get a Roadster!), we had a problem with many members spamming the forum with their referral codes. We also decided we didn't want the codes in signatures, since some folks would make unnecessary posts just so their code would show up more often (thus more spam). At the same time, we appreciate the value of being able to share/find referral codes on the forum. We started working on an unobtrusive solution, but then Tesla devalued the referrals making the issue moot. Recently, however, referrals have some moderate value again, so we added a space on your member profile where you can share it.

In short, you can enter your referral code as part of your Member Profile. You can edit your profile in account details in your account settings. The field is called Tesla Referral Code. Since most members probably never edit their account details after joining, we added this as an optional field during registration.

If someone has entered their code in that field, you can view their referral code on the About tab of their member profile. As a mild perk for certain levels of Supporting Members, the referral code is displayed a couple more places.

A note about privacy: We allow a certain amount public anonymity on TMC. Displaying your referral code publicly might make it easier for someone to figure out who you are. It definitely lets Tesla know who you are. Just something to consider if that's important to you.

Upvote 2
Solution