Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shock absorber for Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rebuild the ones you have for the cheapest option. It’s not expensive, just send them to bilstein. Don’t have the address on my phone but there’s a form you fill out IIRC and you just ship them yours. Most are surprised how cheap it is, especially if you are in Europe.

Probably cheap to rebuild, but no luck so far in finding someone to do it.
Bilstein did not want to do it or misread my email.

Just got an answer that I had to order new shocks at OEM manufacturer, they only take orders from them.

Oh, and it gets worse. Since the car is now deemed not road worthy I can not drive it legally.
Medlock or Gruber kits can not be used in Norway, as they do not offer TUV Certificate.

The shock does not need TUV, but the spring does, and I have a standard Roadster.
I tried talking to Intrax, and they do offer spring, but not TUV Certificate.
And the gruber kit can only use Roadster Sport springs.

Without a TUV Certificate I can not get the car road legal again.

New answer from Tesla, they need the car (and it's illegal to drive it) to order new shocks.
Estimated delivery time is at least 1 year.

I have found a few shock rebuild services, but they either only rebuild motorcycle shocks or special brands not Bilstein.

Shipping to the US is time consuming and horribly expensive both ways.

I agree that rebuilding is probably the best and cheapest option, but how to find someone to do it?

Most are surprised how cheap it is, especially if you are in Europe.
And Norway is in Europe, but do not be suprised if the cost in shipping + taxes are 2x of the rebuild...

Sometimes it's cheaper to fly to the shop and stay at a hotell while waiting, compared to shipping 🤣
(oh, and that is only if you do not look at the bus/train/taxi to and from the airport in Norway)

Do you need fronts or rears, I suspect you need rears, but I have some fronts that are used but not abused. The rears I need until the company I am working with build my new ones. Give me a few days to look into who to call/contact for rebuilding. I have it logged somewhere.

Reactions: MCroadster