Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DaveT and Al, don't you think that if Elon's personal explaination convinced every institutional fund manager that if you had access to the same information that it would probably either change your mind or at the very least substantially reduce your opposition to the deal. Isn't it hubris to believe that your understanding is superior when you don't have complete access to all of the relevant information?

Mitch, the way I see it is that initially institutional investors were surprised and had doubts about the merger. Elon talked with some of them, and they seemed to be won over. Thus, Elon's comment of him expecting a super-majority. But that was a while ago, and lots have changed... including TSLA lowering their offer price... and SCTY deteriorating financial position. The latest we've heard from Elon (a week ago) was that he was getting some serious flak about SCTY and that was causing stress (rough paraphrase). So, one explanation (sure there could be others, I know) is that some major institutional investors have turned negative on the deal and are putting pressure on TSLA to see if they can change Tesla's mind about it.

i don't wanna detract from the whole spirited fundamental conversation about TSLA/SCTY merger but is it just me or TSLA is really looking pretty darn cool technically!
i see an inverse head and shoulders pattern developing on daily TSLA chart going back to summer of 2015
i think i will increase my exposure to TSLA common even more, maybe plunk down another $100 K in the stock on monday
i think regardless of the outcome of merger, good things are about to happen to this stock in short order

i can not help but note the striking similarity in current chart and TSLA back in 2012 just before it took off big time, my best guess, we're in a similar time frame as October 2012 when TSLA was trading at $27 or so
sure i could be wrong but i would not bet against the very high probability of TSLA simply shooting up severalfold from here and at the very least giving a highly satisfactory return over the next several quarters
now i don't have the nerve to add to my J18 calls which i.m down 50 to 60 % but i sure as heck wanna buy more TSLA common
good things come to those who wait!

The case against TSLA shooting up like crazy for the next several quarters is Model S demand seems to have peaked or is close to peaking and Model X demand is weaker than expected. This means next year earnings reports might not be very as good as they need to be in order to sustain a large, continued rally in the stock price next year... that is until we start seeing significant Model 3 delivery numbers.

many climate scientists are now concerned the pace of global warming is also accelerating. I worry the political climate is on the wrong path. We really have an emergency on our hands, and what do we talk about in our gross public dialogue?
To adumbrate the point, a state of emergency has been reported by the governors of four states, Virginia, Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia so far because of a gasoline pipe rupture. Covered, of course, by the local media but a left-leaning site reported no mainstream media coverage. I tried to confirm by Google search and a quick look showed the focus of the governors' urgency was the sudden spike in gas prices at independent stores (7-11, etc.) because of the requirement that refiners service wholesale customers first. No state of emergency, apparently, on environmental grounds.

I believe Bloomberg has given some coverage. I'll check NYT later. Sorry for OT post.

The case against TSLA shooting up like crazy for the next several quarters is Model S demand seems to have peaked or is close to peaking and Model X demand is weaker than expected. This means next year earnings reports might not be very as good as they need to be in order to sustain a large, continued rally in the stock price next year... that is until we start seeing significant Model 3 delivery numbers.
I know! I dunno any major fundamental reasons or catalysts except if TSLA energy takes off. However, fundamentals are preceded by technicals and to me technicals look really good. We're trading in a tight sideways range for the last 5 quarters now and this current quarterly candle is looking like a doji/ inverted hammer (I suspect it'll change for better in next 2 weeks). So how long does a stock like TSLA go sideways and nowhere fast? Indefinitely? I don't think so
Technically, I suspect the stock will make a strong breakout sooner than later and the fundamentals will justify the breakout
We'll see but if I am right then this is precisely the time to go super long TSLA since market prices in good news at least 6 months in advance
bottom line : in the stock market what everyone knows is not worth knowing
A successful speculator sees what is coming around the corner before it becomes news

• Informative
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
When Elon talks about automotive production lines as-a-product he means designing and building the line with the same care, or more care than the cars they produce. Normally car factories are built using parts from catalogs. Elon specifically compared that to building a car using parts from existing cars, which would be a mess. So I'm not sure that he meant mass production of GF's when he used that phrase.
I listened to the relevant pat in the May-2015 TE event again, and in combination with the presentation during the GF opening event I think you have a point there.

Pity, would have been great to see GigaFactories being build as a Joint Venture between Tesla/Panasonic/VW.
But I am sure that they plan to use the equipment and techniques used to build GF1 to build more GF's. They can now easily, quickly and cheaply GF's, much smaller than GF1 if smaller is advantageous in a given situation with similar production costs. A great way to do that IMO would be a JV with BMW, VW or Diamler. Something like the partner puts up the cash and TEsla gets the rights to buy 30 of the cells at cost.

Thanks Ken (and others) for interesting personal insights/opinions.

My rather simplistic question to you: If EM has always felt SCTY/TM were in fact 'merged' whether they were legally or not and the real merger is a formality And that you feel if it fails he will take it private/personally: Why now. Wait 3-6 months and you will, IMO, be buying it for pennies and not dollars at a time when dollars (OK, I know it is a stock sale..but you get the point) are precious to TM?
1. Maybe he is sure the price won't drop that far.
2. It's better ($) and easier to do this now.
3. I hope that he feels some sense of responsibility to shareholders of both TSLA and SCTY. How would you feel if you purchased SCTY, largely due to your belief in Elon, and he deliberately allowed SCTY to tank so that TSLA could save a minor amount of dilution to make what he believes is a no-brainer acquistion?
The question of how long is indeed crucial. With the well deserved attention to the SolarCity financials, the fundamentals of TE got totally overlooked and dismissed based on incorrect assumption of commodification. The TE aspect of the SolarCity acquisition is really at the heart of it. In Elon words during the early morning SolarCity acquisition call, everybody who sees and appreciates product aspect of the acquisition is unequivocally for it, while those who stop at just looking at finances - against.
Thanks! I'd forgotten he said that. I was saying the same thing.
The same huge institutional investors are also the same ones not closing the huge 20%+ arbitrage gap over a binary short-term event with the SCTY-TSLA merger. So yes, I yield to the insider information they do have and am not willing to tolerate such risk in either stock right now.
The same huge institutional investors definitely made huge purchases of TSLA after the merger was proposed. I think that they also made similar purchases of SCTY.

Even if they only bought TSLA at that time (no SCTY) your premise that they don't believe in the merger is clearly flawed.

Before they started MX production Tesla revamped their production line. Setting up 2 lines S and X designed to do initial production, plus a 3rd line designed to do final assembly for both. In spite of the fact that problems with the X final assembly have had a negative impact on S production, the S production has increased nicely. The mistakes the markets are making is to equate the X problems as general problems, rather than X specific problems, and to think there is any reason at all to think they will happen with the M3, which is being designed from the ground up to be easy to build. If anything their problems with the X make it less likely that they will have similar problems with the M3, because they are clearly bending over backwards to avoid repeating that mistake.

To me there are two main possibilities regarding effects of Model X ramp on Model 3:
1. Tesla learns from their mistakes, and does a much better job with Model 3.
2. Tesla doesn't learn from their mistakes, and Model 3 ramp has major issues like the X.

Now, I know we're on TMC and it's a fan club so anti-Tesla comments aren't appreciated, but I'm a Tesla fan and investor... so please don't take my comments as anti-Tesla. I'm trying to be constructive. That said...

I have my doubts as to if Tesla has really learned their lesson with Model X. Tesla/Elon points to hubris and the difficulty making the Model X as the main problem for the X issues, and they point to designing Model 3 with DFM (Design For Manufacturing) principles. I think that helps. But I don't think it hits the nail on the head.

In my opinion, I think the more important problem was that Tesla didn't do comprehensive enough testing on the Model X. They should have had 50+ Model X prototypes on the road, running all day in various instances in public and private places, and this should have gone on for at least 6 months prior to production. If they had done this, they would have caught all the major problems of the X and fixed them. The problem with the X, as I see it, is that they skimped on the testing. Tesla decided to "hide" the Model X from public and even when they showed the car, it seemed like they only have 4(?) prototypes. Even at the X reveal event at end of Q3 2015, one of the Model X FWDs wouldn't open and they had to remove it as a test drive vehicle. Even at the event, it was clear the FWDs had major issues. Perhaps it was because Tesla wanted to save money, but to have only 4 (again I'm speculating and could be wrong, but I'd like to see me proven wrong) test vehicles is crazy. And it's probably the main reason they didn't catch all the problems.

Yes, the Model 3 will be easier to manufacture. But they also have a much more aggressive ramp schedule with much larger volume goals. So, any problems will be magnified.

What I'm looking for is whether or not Tesla will show evidence that they have 50-100 test vehicles doing extensive and rigorous testing at least 6 months before production. If they do this, then I think Model 3 ramp will go great. If there's no evidence of this (and we still hear or see just a few to several prototypes in January 2017), then I'd be worried that Model 3 ramp will not only go slower than anticipated but also have more quality issues than expected.

And as a Tesla fan and investor, I'm hoping Tesla nails the Model 3 ramp.

A successful speculator sees what is coming around the corner before it becomes news

Don't bother reading the book called The Seventh Sense by Joshua Cooper Ramo who tediously makes the same point about successful entrepreneurs. Unfortunately, he ads nothing I know to the literature of why they have this sense which I think Jobs, Bezos, and Musk exemplify. But what should one expect from a former associate at Kissinger Associates which has given us the likes of L. Paul Bremer?

To be fair, Bremer did have some problems as a more objective source than I noted:
The Former Head Of The US Occupation In Iraq Did 2 Very Embarrassing Things On His First And Last Days On The Job

Reactions: TrendTrader007
I know! I dunno any major fundamental reasons or catalysts except if TSLA energy takes off. However, fundamentals are preceded by technicals and to me technicals look really good. We're trading in a tight sideways range for the last 5 quarters now and this current quarterly candle is looking like a doji/ inverted hammer (I suspect it'll change for better in next 2 weeks). So how long does a stock like TSLA go sideways and nowhere fast? Indefinitely? I don't think so
Technically, I suspect the stock will make a strong breakout sooner than later and the fundamentals will justify the breakout
We'll see but if I am right then this is precisely the time to go super long TSLA since market prices in good news at least 6 months in advance
bottom line : in the stock market what everyone knows is not worth knowing
Fundamentals can be preceded by technicals, but if technicals aren't supported by fundamentals than any rally likely won't be sustained over a long period of time (ie., several quarters).

If the Model X was a hit, I think we'd be at $350 right now and make $450 when Model 3 ships. If you look through my past posts, I was upset and public very early on with the Model X ramp issues because I knew it could really dampen the SP and make raising money more difficult. I could go on about why I think the X fiasco makes Tesla a much more vulnerable company, but I won't since I'll probably be misunderstood as anti-Tesla. Ironically though is that I care so much about this stuff, and at times I can be critical when it's called for because I care about Tesla so much and I want them to do well.

Last edited:
Mod here -
Folks, PLEASE don't make me pull the No Political Stuff cord. Thanks.
Audi...Tell me at least you did not smile at the poster...C'mon.....Just a little?

the politically correct way to pull that cord :p

*Edit: Sorry could not help myself with the politically *neutral* poster.

If we have snippyville please feel free to move my post(s)

Last edited:
Reactions: TrendTrader007
Intelligence certainly requires information and it is often said wisdom is the proper use of knowledge. But what is smart? Sometimes I think a really good memory is often confused with being smart; I am often a victim of this delusion.

Smart is really defined by how quickly one changes one's mind when it is appropriate and is akin to what TrendTrader0007 said in the wonderful statement above. If Elon has learned the lesson of the Model X despite DaveT's worry, I think we will see that confirmed late next year. That Elon has admitted to hubris is a good sign. Of course there are others as well.

Whatever the definition I'm willing to call Elon Musk smart. Fortunately, few of the rest of us are so carefully scrutinized for daily confirmation. My wife tries, however, and is a great critic in the best sense.:)

Last edited:
[QUOTE="MitchJi, post: 1734442,
DaveT and Al, don't you think that if Elon's personal explaination convinced every institutional fund manager that if you had access to the same information that it would probably either change your mind or at the very least substantially reduce your opposition to the deal. Isn't it hubris to believe that your understanding is superior when you don't have complete access to all of the relevant information?[/QUOTE]

Mitch,
I can't speak for DaveT on this.

It is quite evident from my posts that I do not like the merger. To be more specific, the timing of the merger.

Certainly EM has lobbied/cajoled the institutional investors to vote 'yes' and that he has inside information on the financials (good and bad) on SCTY. That is why the 'trader' side of my portfolio has been adding SCTY with an average price of $17 and not adding to TSLA as an arbitrage trade.

Call it hubris, or anything else if you like, but EM is not infallible: Look at the X. I don't want to go down that rabbit hole (but will if you like as I am famous, OK, infamous on the TM forum, in my postings about the X ramp and QC issues) but suffice it to say that the hubris is not without some merit.

Evidence: EM went from proclaiming the 'X will be a better SUV than the S is a sedan' to 'we have learned that the production team and suppliers should be an integral part during the design phase for the 3 based on our experience with the X' ***I did put these in quotations even though they are a summary and not EM's exact words but catch the spirit of the remarks***

Last edited:
Sure, things could turn around for the Model X, and I hope they do. But Tesla was expecting demand for Model X to be same or even more than the Model S. But current demand for Model X clearly seems lower than the S. Do you have any evidence that shows otherwise?

Yes, the evidence is that there hasn't even been a full quarter of production since the ramp steadied and major issues were resolved. Model X is already ahead of where Model S was post-launch, and demand for Tesla cars is a feedback loop--more cars on the road, more people riding in their friends' relatives' coworkers' Model X, confidence QC issues are resolved = more demand.

So with all that in mind--definitely premature to say Model X demand is low. I wouldn't be surprised to see parity in S / X deliveries within the next 4 quarters.

Yes, the evidence is that there hasn't even been a full quarter of production since the ramp steadied and major issues were resolved. Model X is already ahead of where Model S was post-launch, and demand for Tesla cars is a feedback loop--more cars on the road, more people riding in their friends' relatives' coworkers' Model X, confidence QC issues are resolved = more demand.

So with all that in mind--definitely premature to say Model X demand is low. I wouldn't be surprised to see parity in S / X deliveries within the next 4 quarters.
Agree!

Pllus IMO the reason that MX deliveries were about half of MS deliveries in Q2 is that they still hadn't resolved the production issue. I'm sure someone here will say it's a demand problem, but I don't believe that. One reason I'm optimistic about Q3 is that if they've finally nailed the MX production that should improve MS production as well.

Part 2. - SCTY

So I must admit I wasn't 100% happy about this either, mainly because of the questionable financial background of SCTY and the distraction it can provide to Elon and co. But 2 things tell me this will still be a great move in retrospect.

One, is Elon and JB. Like others, I trust those guys and think if they are on board I either continue to trust them or sell my TSLA. This is not blind trust, just logic based on past performance.

Two. On the consumer market this may be the next "iPhone moment". Apple didn't invent the smartphone, but Jobs found the flaws with how other manufacturers designed/presented them to consumers. Elon the same way, realizing if the design can be attractive and easy to deploy, consumers interest will rise. If Tesla can take you off the grid with an integrated panel-inverter-storage design that is installed by 1 team in a few hours/day, that's a major feat. They will also have pricing on their side, as the new panels will be 20-30% more efficient than mainstream ones used today, meaning you may need that much less of them. Panels and inverters are both very expensive today and your return is 5-15 years depending on your country/state and incentives. If a combined Tesla advanced PV panel and inverter design can make that 1/4 less expensive and it even looks good, well, that may be a no brainer. And if you can afford it, they can add a Powerwall to the mix with the cheaper GF1 cells and you can go completely off grid.

Three, and this is the big one. On utility scale designs Tesla will be able to deliver complete, turn-key power plants at a fraction of the time and probably less cost than building a new peaker gas plant. OK, ok, so there are probably a few other things that go into a power plant, but you get the idea, they can deliver the guts of the plant in one deal in a matter of months. PV + inverter + Powerpack.

I haven't quite finished the Elon biography yet, but what is already clear to me about the man is that he felt he got burned every single time he let things out of his hands, when he had to depend on 3rd parties and outside vendors. Look at what Tesla has been doing with insourcing much of their component production - the total opposite of what the rest of the vehicle industry was doing. Fact is, and Mobileye is the latest example, no outside partner can , or is willing to match Tesla's development speed. Elon is taking much higher risks and doing much more revolutionary, ground up new designs than what standard corporate culture would allow. So yeah, maybe it would have made sense to snatch up SCTY a year from now when M3 is already in production, but by then SCTY would have either gone bankrupt or would have been too expensive due to the success of the new panels and he wasn't going to risk that.

Regarding points #2 and #3, I completely agree. My main hesitation w/the SCTY model is not the synergies created or the potential of TE. Rather, it's the added financial stress it can cause Tesla during a time when they are going to be financially stressed already with Model 3 ramp.

Regarding point #1, for me I look at the overall picture. I can be critical of how leadership executes certain parts of the company (ie., Model X), but overall happy with the future prospects of the company (ie., Model 3 potential and demand). Just because I'm critical of a certain part (ie., Model X ramp, or timing of SCTY merger), doesn't mean that I've "lost faith" in the TSLA leadership and should sell my shares. I could be super bullish on other parts of the company and feel the overall prospects of the company look very good. Or I could be slightly less bullish due to the SCTY merger, and trim my position (which I might do, but am undecided at the moment). But it doesn't mean I've lost complete faith in Elon and his team.

Sure, things could turn around for the Model X, and I hope they do. But Tesla was expecting demand for Model X to be same or even more than the Model S. But current demand for Model X clearly seems lower than the S. Do you have any evidence that shows otherwise?

Based on what?

I mean it may be, but we haven't heard anything official from Tesla about X vs S demand yet and it seems production on X was still an issue in Q2 (only go resolved towards the end of the quarter), so how many X were delivered is not exactly a good metric either.

If I had to guess I would say the lack of bragging about X demand may be indicative and all that press about X production and quality issues surely didn't help, but it's a bit odd asking for evidence to the contrary when your own deduction is not based on facts either.

I'm referring to what the competition is going to look like, and this can include new companies such as startups. They are going to take the competitively priced cells and make a similar system as TE. There will be significant competition as long as there's lots of money at stake. I don't see any significant barriers to entry to the BES market that make it unlikely that startups won't be releasing products that are competitively priced to Tesla's, which will start a very fast decline in what players can charge for BES.

In addition to price, utilities are very concerned about the reliability and longevity of the battery systems they buy. Tesla experience with L-ion batteries and the reams of reliability data they have accumulated is a big competitive advantage. We shouldn't expect these deals to be won on price alone, and startups will be at a distinct disadvantage because of no track record.

Regarding points #2 and #3, I completely agree. Regarding point #1, for me I look at the overall picture. I can be critical of how leadership executes certain parts of the company (ie., Model X), but overall happy with the future prospects of the company (ie., Model 3 potential and demand). Just because I'm critical of a certain part (ie., Model X ramp, or timing of SCTY merger), doesn't mean that I've "lost faith" in the TSLA leadership and should sell my shares. I could be super bullish on other parts of the company and feel the overall prospects of the company look very good. Or I could be slightly less bullish due to the SCTY merger, and trim my position (which I might do, but am undecided at the moment). But it doesn't mean I've lost complete faith in Elon and his team.
Fair point. And I am not saying I was (am?) a 100% sold on this either, I mean the risks you raise are valid, but at some point thinking about this I was like: "ok, so I have this amount of information, which is infinitely less than what those guys have so it comes down to do I trust their judgement and integrity, or do I think they were blinded by personal interests and hubris"? I mean what else can we do but trust them or get the hell out of the stock? Even if we had the shares to influence the vote (i wish, hah!), as others pointed out, a "no" vote could do a lot more damage at this point.

Reactions: MitchJi
Status
Not open for further replies.