Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love that @Fallenone is explicit in saying what he considers on time. Delivering a few hunderd model 3's in the second half of 2017 is technically still 'on time' but that is simply not enough. My personal threshold for on time : more Model 3 deliveries than Model S or X in Q4.

Here is also the timeline I am watching for in 2017.
* December 2016 : full details on the new supercharging pricing structure for Model 3 (and new S/X as well if different)
* Last day of 2016 : AP2.0 activates and is at parity with AP1.0, minor regressions
* January 2017 : explicit confirmation that Gigafactory is producing new cells at substantial levels (run rate >1GWh per jaar)
* February 2017 : FY2016 report showing Q4 capex on factory build out as guided in their last quarterly report
* Q1 2017 : occasional sightings of a Model 3 driving in regular traffic
* March 2017 : full reveal event for the Model 3. Showing cars that are exactly what production is going to be, of course fully driveable
* Last day of Q1 2017 : AP2.0 is now at full parity with AP1.0, no regressions at all
* April 2017 : first products ship to customers with gigafactory produced cells
* Q2 2017 : frequent sightings of a Model 3 driving in regular traffic/supercharging
* Last day of Q2 2017 : AP2.0 is now substantially better than AP1.0
* June 2017 : Model 3 configurator open for first group (employees&Model S/X owners) includes pricing etc
* August 2017 : first deliveries to employees
* October 2017 : first deliveries to non-employees
* December 2017 : A Model X drives itself over a substantial distance in real traffic with a driver only present because of regulation. Drive event is live rather releasestreamed to show it isn't scripted (ok that is a dream, I'll accept a sped up video with honky tonk music after the fact)
* Q4 2017 : > 30k deliveries of Model 3

If they hit that last goal, they are on time. Otherwise they are not. The points before I think are reasonable checkpoints they can't afford to miss by too much without making the end goal impossible.
I thought the timeline you present here is leaving too little leeway and risky until I see the last item and makes sense. But I don't think 30k in 2017 would be good enough for the Street.

I thought the timeline you present here is leaving too little leeway and risky until I see the last item and makes sense. But I don't think 30k in 2017 would be good enough for the Street.

Possibly not for a big run up. You are absolutely right that 30k Model 3 will mean they are sold at basically no gross profit. But it will be enough to show a credible path to profitable production soon. So it won't negatively affect the stock. However if they have no Model 3 deliveries at all in 2017, that's going to be a tough sell.

Regarding M3, still I do not understand why short term market cares about it. When GF is operational then M3 is profitable. Both are months to years away. Making M3 without gf or highly automated factory is only for testing and early adopters. Market will hammer Tesla till there is lower battery price and highly automated production, years away.

More important and more to short term, larger 100 battery, then ap 2.0, then larger battery in regular ms/x and possible upgrade now...

Regarding M3, still I do not understand why short term market cares about it. When GF is operational then M3 is profitable. Both are months to years away. Making M3 without gf or highly automated factory is only for testing and early adopters. Market will hammer Tesla till there is lower battery price and highly automated production, years away.

More important and more to short term, larger 100 battery, then ap 2.0, then larger battery in regular ms/x and possible upgrade now...
First there's the traditional DCF method to determine the value of the current stock price. The same delivery and margins but a year later would result in more discount to the current share price. Also I don't think any sensible human being would buy/hold for the long term TSLA at this price without believing Model 3 will be successful soon (as in a year or two), so depending on how big the delay may be, it could shake the faith of the people in this camp and affect stock price negatively.

Reactions: neroden
Ah yes my mistake. Still, the bar for me is 100k in 2017. I'm not sure 30k units of Model 3 in 2017 would be enough. As I mentioned, with the big depreciation shared by small amount of units, these 30k Model 3 is not going to show satisfactory gross margins to support a massive upwards movement.
The dev costs should be depreciated across the entire production of cars, not the first one, nor the first 30k.

What's with all the negativity here? The first model 3s will be built with a line tweaked from the S/X line, except simpler because the car is simpler. Reports are they are on time. Pencils down happened as said. New sensor suite produced as expected. X production is hardly a comparison for reasons stated above. No other company has developed and produced like Tesla ... But all I am hearing is "What did they do for me yesterday?" ... Self-centred whining.

The dev costs should be depreciated across the entire production of cars, not the first one, nor the first 30k.

What's with all the negativity here? The first model 3s will be built with a line tweaked from the S/X line, except simpler because the car is simpler. Reports are they are on time. Pencils down happened as said. New sensor suite produced as expected. X production is hardly a comparison for reasons stated above. No other company has developed and produced like Tesla ... But all I am hearing is "What did they do for me yesterday?" ... Self-centred whining.

I think one of the challenges is that Tesla has decided to stay mum on Model 3 because too much attention on Model 3 has the potential to detract from S/X sales in the short term, which Tesla needs to fund the Model 3 production ramp.

The uncertainty/relative silence on Model 3 probably helps demand for S and X, but at the same time leaves plenty of room for skepticism on Model 3 progress for those who are so inclined. I don't happen to be one of them, but can see why, in an ideal world, people would want to see more tangible signs of progress.

This is a very different approach from the Model S launch where it was in Tesla's interest to keep the spotlight on their progress and keep Model S front and center in the public's mind leading up to its release.

Unless Tesla decides it wants to raise capital instead of self-fund, I doubt we'll get much more than a few nuggets on Model 3 here and there until Reveal Part 3 sometime this spring. Could be wrong but that's my operating assumption ....

To date, the mockups on the central screen included the instrumentation data.

There's no evidence of a HUD at this time - it's merely conjecture.
The Toyota Yaris and Mini have center speedo units. I always assumed it was for right vs left drive simplicity but they do look to allow the driver to be a little farther forward. No reason you couldn't drive just fine with out a hud. Just color code the speedo for the speed limit of the area you are in. Simple enough to do as the car can read the signs.

Reactions: JRP3
IMO, *IF* EM comes out at the 4rth Q ER/CC and says there will be a delay in release of the '3' the SP of TSLA will suffer.
Big time. I think that's highly unlikely before Q2.

March 2017 : full reveal event for the Model 3. Showing cars that are exactly what production is going to be, of course fully driveable.
That will not happen!

The first Model 3 full reveal will not happen, until production is either imminent, or already started, because they don't want to risk Osbourning S-X sales.

Reactions: neroden and hoang51
The first Model 3 full reveal will not happen, until production is either imminent, or already started, because they don't want to risk Osbourning S-X sales.
How can one Osbourne S/X sales? ... The 3s are sold out, so an S/X buyer can buy one soon, or wait more than a year for a 3.
I expect a reveal end of March 17 ... Will show the 3's interior and also announce any shared advanced tech for the S/X at the same time.

Who is whining? The frame of reference we have is missed self imposed deadlines.
Missing self imposed deadlines for the '3' are possible.

I hope they meet or beat these but the concerns are valid.

If they had hit every deadline but one and there was hand wringing for one miss then I would agree with your final sentence.

Sorry, by dev costs I meant design and build costs ... All of them should be applied to the total production run, not an arbitrary slice of it.
Tooling is amortized over each unit. Labor in some sense is as well but requires precise timing (i.e. if expecting 5k a week production and hired adequate personnel for that and did produced 5k a week, then all is good. But if only produced 2.5k a week due to other issues, then labor would be twice as it should be). Everything else is D&A over time, regardless of production run rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.