Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we should wonder if there will be a small number of "90" cars that are software upgradeable to 100 kWh, we should assume there will be. Look at the history of how they did the step up from 70 --> 75 packs. How to do this without Osborning one self? You use up all your 70 packs and start putting 75 packs in the cars ordered as "70" cars. Then as soon as all the cars with the last actual 70 packs have been delivered or at least 100% payed for you announce the 75 as the new pack. They will do the exact same now with the 90 --> 100 upgrade.

Reactions: EinSV
60 kwh online
Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 14.37.15.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 14.37.41.png

$66k entry point for 60 RWD now. Not quite low enough for Germany incentives.

Well, at current exchange rate that is about Euro 58k.

A while ago on the Benelux part of the forum a similar incentives discussion came up about Dutch incentives possibly getting limited to Euro 50k.
It was suggested Tesla should deliver Euro 49k cars with a small battery (e.g. 10 kWh) that could later be swapped / upgraded to 85 kWh :) .. and as later upgrade activation of options for A.P. etc, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: madodel
Fits with my longer standing argument that Tesla has spare production capacity for the S. Otherwise why fill a production slot with a low margin 60kWh that might lead to a 75kWh upgrade later when it could have been filled right away with a 75kWh model? But since they have spare slots anyway, it's a net win to get customers in the door that had been discouraged on price before. We know from model 3 reservations that demand exponentially increases as the price dips.

I think this is the right way to introduce a lower range Model S. The reason why they stopped offering the 60 kWh Model S was because not enough people were buying it. People were either refraining from buying a Tesla because they felt uncertain about whether the range would be good enough on the 60 kWh car they could afford, or they went for the 85 kWh battery.

Now, they can sell the Model S to more people who have smaller budgets and who are a bit uncertain about whether the 60 kWh Model S has sufficient range. I think the primary target group is Model 3 reservation holders. And the ~3k USD battery cells they include for free with each car probably isn't a huge hit to the margins.

Status
Not open for further replies.