Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I black out my badges/emblems on my black MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7A82E874-1BA0-405A-A8D0-F5519DAAF34C.jpeg
5F32114E-457E-4CE4-AA00-EFA307DCAF26.jpeg
A532D00A-84BB-48C7-9883-2C0C5EDBFFC6.jpeg
B9432CC7-20E1-4B34-8978-6FCAAD3057CD.jpeg

Finally got the car back today after tinting and ppf installation, and the gunmetal gray matches the uberturbines perfectly! It’s impossible to capture this in photos, because of the relative contrast of black and gunmetal, which makes the badges look a lot lighter in photos than they do in person. I’m thrilled with how it turned out. The only thing I don’t love is that the T in the dual motor badge was placed slightly higher than the other letters, which no one else will notice… but OCD, right?

Reactions: Destiny1701
View attachment 913632View attachment 913634View attachment 913636View attachment 913637

Finally got the car back today after tinting and ppf installation, and the gunmetal gray matches the uberturbines perfectly! It’s impossible to capture this in photos, because of the relative contrast of black and gunmetal, which makes the badges look a lot lighter in photos than they do in person. I’m thrilled with how it turned out. The only thing I don’t love is that the T in the dual motor badge was placed slightly higher than the other letters, which no one else will notice… but OCD, right?
Can you ask sit it manually down? Literally put some pressure on it? Love the look :)

Are there placement templates for any of the various badges? Once I take delivery, I'm almost immediately having my car wrapped and the shop will debadge the car in the process. They don't stock the "T E S L A" letters, so I purchased them myself and plan to install - the issue is, I've read that the best (easiest) way to mount the rear trunk badge is by using the original Tesla "T" badge to map out the installation of new ones. Since I'll be working with a blank slate, I'm looking for measurements, if they exist at all. Centering on the x-axis seems like a no-brainer - just measure the space between tail lights or something. The y-axis seems a bit trickier. Is this really just an "eyeball it" situation? Pictures I've seen don't really seem like the letters are centered on the y-axis (maybe because of the curvature of the trunk in that area), they seem like they are a little lower.

Also looking for OEM measurements or a template for the "DUAL MOTOR" badge since that'll be gone too.

Are there placement templates for any of the various badges? Once I take delivery, I'm almost immediately having my car wrapped and the shop will debadge the car in the process. They don't stock the "T E S L A" letters, so I purchased them myself and plan to install - the issue is, I've read that the best (easiest) way to mount the rear trunk badge is by using the original Tesla "T" badge to map out the installation of new ones. Since I'll be working with a blank slate, I'm looking for measurements, if they exist at all. Centering on the x-axis seems like a no-brainer - just measure the space between tail lights or something. The y-axis seems a bit trickier. Is this really just an "eyeball it" situation? Pictures I've seen don't really seem like the letters are centered on the y-axis (maybe because of the curvature of the trunk in that area), they seem like they are a little lower.

Also looking for OEM measurements or a template for the "DUAL MOTOR" badge since that'll be gone too.
You could also ask the shop that is wrapping the car to do it. Most will do it, and do it very well (what I did with mine)

You could also ask the shop that is wrapping the car to do it. Most will do it, and do it very well (what I did with mine)
Sure - I'm sure they would do it too. If I went that route, I'd prefer to give them some guidance for the T E S L A letters specifically. I'll definitely ask if they have experience with this specific badge (they do a lot of Teslas, so it's certainly possible). The black dual motor badge would simply replace the OEM one.

Sure - I'm sure they would do it too. If I went that route, I'd prefer to give them some guidance for the T E S L A letters specifically. I'll definitely ask if they have experience with this specific badge (they do a lot of Teslas, so it's certainly possible). The black dual motor badge would simply replace the OEM one.
IMG_1742.jpeg

Just line the S up with where the T is.
I am certain they have done it plenty of times by now.

Y-axis is personal preference. I personally like the lettering near the lower 1/3rd of the panel, but everyone is different. Look at a lot of photos, decide what you like, and if you have a shop install for you, make sure they know exactly what you want, or you may be in for a surprise.

Just finished plastic dipping my white MYLR's badges. Had a can of matte black laying around. Will be debagging the dual motor. Came out good, best tip I can give is to make sure to pull away from the badge when removing the excess and use a toothpick.

front.jpg
rear.jpg

Reactions: UoMDeacon