Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I sell it ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve had my M3P with FSD since new in Nov 19, it’s one of the first with the dark alloys.
I do love the car but because I then got a new job (which was only 1.5miles from home) and then working from home exclusively since March, I’ve done less than 5000 miles in that time !
I’m just not using it and it seems like such a waste for it to sit there doing nothing apart from depreciating

So I’ve had my M3P with FSD since new in Nov 19, it’s one of the first with the dark alloys.
I do love the car but because I then got a new job (which was only 1.5miles from home) and then working from home exclusively since March, I’ve done less than 5000 miles in that time !
I’m just not using it and it seems like such a waste for it to sit there doing nothing apart from depreciating

I would say if you can afford to keep the car then keep it. It is an incredible car which i personally will try and keep for as long as possible

Reactions: Beady3647

pits not costing much to keep other than insurance. Depreciation is very low at the moment. Presumably you would get another car - how much would that be costing you? There are lots of cars that do less than 3000 miles a year.

On the other hand, if you think depreciation will increase as the competition hots up, now might be a good time to sell. If you want to sell but stay electric, for the few miles you do, you could buy a good used Leaf and have enough in the bank for some great holidays - one day!

Reactions: Ant M3
As others have suggested, see what it's worth and then make your decision, We had a similar dilemma with 3 cars between the two of us, my wifes mini Cooper s Paceman hadn't turned a wheel since the March lockdown and in that time the MOT expired and had cost £300 in Tax and Insurance. We MOT'd the car, advertised at a cheeky high price and in the end sold to a Mini dealer for £250 less than we paid for it 18 months ago.

Mines not moved much since the 1st lockdown, as I've been working from home full time too. I've done a total of 1010 miles since getting it, so it's been a bit of a waste.

My concern is, and would be in your shoes, that if you aren't maximsing the benefit of actually having the car then the longer you hold on to it the greater the likelihood of some seismic improvement that would affect residuals

Like you I have a M3P with FSD, and I think that's probably the most exposed - e.g. if a Ludicrous/100kWh Model 3 comes along then it will no longer be the fastest available, and it isn't already the longest range, so it would sortof be in no mans land. It would be even worse if this 100kWh model replaced the existing M3P at the same or similar price point.

One could argue the 2021 changes will have had some kind of hit, and that is likely to continue with iterative improvements.

I don't think there is a "right" answer. Assuming a normal level of depreciation is probably a sane way to look at it. I don't think we'll see a £30k price cut overnight that S/X owners saw, but I could forsee HW4 or 100kWh Model 3s having a disproportionate overnight effect on residuals.

For what it's worth I got a trade in value from Tesla of £52k for my M3P, which I thought was very good, but it would still have cost me another £13k to get into the same car in 2021 spec. I didn't think the changes were worth that much to me.

Reactions: Ant M3 and KennethS