Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I take it in to get the roof glass adjusted?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery about a week ago. Just noticed the roof glass has a gap about twice as big on the drivers vs passenger side. For perspective, my pink fits in one side, my thumb in the other. Concerned that a roof rack might be more likely to crack it. Opinions? Take it in?
IMG_7860.jpeg
IMG_7859.jpeg

I took delivery about a week ago. Just noticed the roof glass has a gap about twice as big on the drivers vs passenger side. For perspective, my pink fits in one side, my thumb in the other. Concerned that a roof rack might be more likely to crack it. Opinions? Take it in?View attachment 954630View attachment 954631
It could be the roof glass or the frame it attaches to. I’d leave it alone if it’s not impacting or causing any problems.

It could be the roof glass or the frame it attaches to. I’d leave it alone if it’s not impacting or causing any problems.
…Concerned that a roof rack might be more likely to crack it.….” Roof racks only have a small area where you can mount to - a hidden piece of metal under the weatherstripping. Numerous reports of cracked glass.

AND I have about 15 days left to correct assembly problems. So hopefully I can here from someone who knows what’s acceptable and/or roof rack issues when the glas was put on too close to one side.

Oh ok, sorry I overlooked the mention of a roof rack. I have read comments about roof racks cracking the roof glass. In that case, I would raise concerns with Tesla about the gap and that you plan to install a rack. At the very least your concern will be documented should the rack create a problem.

Is Tesla installing the rack?

Last edited:
Oh ok, sorry I overlooked the mention of a roof rack. I have read comments about roof racks cracking the roof glass. In that case, I would raise concerns with Tesla about the gap and that you plan to install a rack. At the very least your concern will be documented should the rack create a problem.

Is Tesla installing the rack?
I would likely get a third party rack ((Tesla doesn’t make these, BTW) and install myself. Haven’t decided yet, but I have kayaks and windsurfers, so….

Probably I’ll call my service advisor to discuss.

• Helpful
Reactions: jerome8283
I am always loathe to have Tesla touch the car at the risk they f#ck something up worse than it was. I've seen repairs spiral out of control with them where the fix was worse than the original issue.

On this one I'd bring it up to service since you plan to mount a roof rack. I'd actually urge you to get a tow hitch and carrier that would suit your purposes rather a roor rack. I'd even consider a hitch and small fold-up trailer before I'd go with a roof rack if I had a place for it. If not, then roof rack away after getting it fixed.

If Tesla says it is good, and they do nothing, and you then have an issue with the roof rack craking the roof, it is your baby. From what I've heard it is at least $1,500 to replace the roof. I avoid roof racks on glass roofs at all costs unless there is a factory roof rack option.

I am always loathe to have Tesla touch the car at the risk they f#ck something up worse than it was. I've seen repairs spiral out of control with them where the fix was worse than the original issue.

On this one I'd bring it up to service since you plan to mount a roof rack. I'd actually urge you to get a tow hitch and carrier that would suit your purposes rather a roor rack. I'd even consider a hitch and small fold-up trailer before I'd go with a roof rack if I had a place for it. If not, then roof rack away after getting it fixed.

If Tesla says it is good, and they do nothing, and you then have an issue with the roof rack craking the roof, it is your baby. From what I've heard it is at least $1,500 to replace the roof. I avoid roof racks on glass roofs at all costs unless there is a factory roof rack option.
I think that most people would say that Tesla does a great job with many alignment adjustments. I'm just not sure about this one.

Reactions: RichBenn
A MY glass replacement would be $1700 and change. I just had mine replaced last week. It ended up being covered by the warranty because they determined it was a stress crack, not caused by some external impact. Tesla did a good job with the replacement.

The problem here is Tesla will not cover any damage caused by third party installs.

You should open a service ticket via the app or contact your service advisor, or both.

A MY glass replacement would be $1700 and change. I just had mine replaced last week. It ended up being covered by the warranty because they determined it was a stress crack, not caused by some external impact. Tesla did a good job with the replacement.

The problem here is Tesla will not cover any damage caused by third party installs.

You should open a service ticket via the app or contact your service advisor, or both.
Still debating. The reason I’m a DIYer(worked on cars for >50 years!) is I know it’s done right. This repair would entail removing adhesive that’s hard to get to and remove. Well maybe a quality glass place could do a reasonable job.

So I won’t likely demand they do it if I’m not going the rack route.

Too bad they didn’t offer a no glass roof option! We would have been all over it.