Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I wait to Order MYLR? Tax Credit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any EV truck or full-size SUV below $55k would be massively underpriced, the base Lightning included and Ford will likely not produce too many of those because they are surely losing big money on them. The Lightning Lariat at $70k, I don't know how they're making money at that price either when a truck of that size with that battery pack and interior is <$5k more than a Model Y LR. I expect the Cybertruck to be priced significantly above $80k.

I don't think the bill is designed to benefit any one manufacturer, it's designed to bring manufacturing out of China and push prices lower. The other aspects of the bill providing credits directly to companies for domestic manufacturing etc would also allow these companies to slash prices, fit into lower categories, and still come out ahead.
If the bill wasn't written to help any one or two manufacturers, why was it changed from Made in America, to Made in North America. How was that not to help Ford's EVs made in Mexico, and GMs made in Canada?

Reactions: Snow Drift
If the bill wasn't written to help any one or two manufacturers, why was it changed from Made in America, to Made in North America. How was that not to help Ford's EVs made in Mexico, and GMs made in Canada?

BBB had tons of push back for possibly breaking NAFTA trade rules (similar argument with South Korea it seems) so IRA received the NA tweak.

Lots of carmakers have plants in Mexico and Canada. I suspect Toyota will be making plug-in hybrids in Canada soon since they already build numerous hybrids there.

Reactions: Zalick
Canada can also potentially be a great partner in the production of raw materials like lithium, and it sounds like Tesla is seriously considering setting up a factory in this country as any other company is also free to do. The more companies we can get onto NA shores using our land and our labour to produce and manufacture these things, the better off we'll be.

Curious about the income limitation part, as 2023 Tesla vehicles very likely to be in the federal tax credit eligibility. If both me (above income limit) and my brother (below income limit) are owners of the car, can he claim the full $7500 tax credit when he files for taxes next year? While use only myself on the car loan?