Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shouldn't EAP reduce speed when the limit changes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 MYLR with EAP is not doing what I expect while using autopilot. I see the car recognize that the speed limit changes, but it does not reduce to match my offset. Conversely, it does seem to increase the speed when entering into a higher posted speed limit.
I've only had the car a few weeks, so I might be missing something. I regularly travel an interstate where the speed limit changes from 70 mph to 65 mph. My offset is +8 mph. I usually have to reduce my speed with the scroll wheel.
Normal? Suggested changes to my settings or driving habits?

Reactions: dhrivnak
You need to get FSD to have that feature enabled.

Enhanced Autopilot​

In addition to the functionality and features of Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot also includes:
  • Navigate on Autopilot: Actively guides your car from a highway’s on-ramp to off-ramp, including suggesting lane changes, navigating interchanges, automatically engaging the turn signal and taking the correct exit.
  • Auto Lane Change: Assists in moving to an adjacent lane on the highway when Autosteer is engaged.
  • Autopark: Helps automatically parallel or perpendicular park your car, with a single touch.
  • Summon: Moves your car in and out of a tight space using the mobile app or key.
  • Smart Summon: Your car will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around object
BTW: Autopark, Summon, and Smart Summon don't work or don't work well. Elon has mentioned a major upgrade but I don't expect it until towards the end of this year.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the explanation even though it's a bit disappointing, but still better than cruise control. 😁
I'm a bit more than disappointed that my 6k EAP doesn't include Autopark, Summon, and Smart Summon with HW4. One does not expect an upgrade or update to break existing functions. As much as I appreciate the better cameras, maybe they should have kept the sensors until vision provides the same function. But, I guess that's a whole other thread.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the explanation even though it's a bit disappointing, but still better than cruise control. 😁
I'm a bit more than disappointed that my 6k EAP doesn't include Autopark, Summon, and Smart Summon with HW4. One does not expect an upgrade or update to break existing functions. As much as I appreciate the better cameras, maybe they should have kept the sensors until vision provides the same function. But, I guess that's a whole other thread.
Yes, the lack of Summon and friends is a big disappointment. I hope they are restored/fixed soon enough for your EAP purchase to feel worthwhile. They are missing/broken on HW3 as well. There is a recent thread here by someone who had a fender bender while using Smart Summon. Bummer. FSD is missing on HW4 for now so that might have been a bigger disappointment.

When I drive with Autopilot, I use the right scroll wheel a lot to adjust the speed. I used it a lot with FSD too but maybe not as much. You can tap on the current speed on the touch screen to set the max speed to it. Same with the displayed speed limit. Tap on it to set the max speed to the current speed limit (as seen by the car). You can also set the max speed to the speed limit by holding down the right stalk.

Most of this is explained in the manual but I didn't digest it all at first so I'm grateful to people here who gave me these tips.

Upvote 0