Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shouldn't ultrasonic sensors override Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
General discussion thread on the subject but it seems very odd to me that the ultrasonic sensors do not seem to override Autopilot, you would think the two would work together in keeping a car in its lane or avoiding certain situations.

There is a difficult intersection near my house were its very large and also sort of crests a bill and has a slight turn.
Previous versions of AP software were ok, but the last couple releases the car ends up switching lanes in the middle of the intersection as it loses sight of the lane markings and then sees the next lane over as the intersection ends.

The issue is, if there is a car in the next lane, AP does not seem to care and if you do not take over, it appears that it would side swipe it no problem, even though visually you can see the ultrasonic sensors indicating that there is a vehicle to the side.

What are your guy's thoughts on this? Is it possible in the future they could make these talk to each other? Or will it be more of a repeater camera function?

General discussion thread on the subject but it seems very odd to me that the ultrasonic sensors do not seem to override Autopilot, you would think the two would work together in keeping a car in its lane or avoiding certain situations.

What are your guy's thoughts on this? Is it possible in the future they could make these talk to each other? Or will it be more of a repeater camera function?

Autopilot on airplanes only holds a course, and as discussed here before, it's not autopilot, but "pilot assist". The driver is always required to be driving, hands on wheel, eyes on road. No, I would not think the car would take over driving for the driver. Yes, it is possible in the future that the car will do more of the actual driving.

I still go on the assumption that I'm smarter than the car, and understand that the driving assist is for highway use only. Mainly, as I don't do much highway, I drive. I think that's still the rule.

It appears that the ultrasonics and AP don't really "talk to each other" at this point. In another very common example, AP will not, in my experience, move over to the left side of your current lane, if, say, a car on the right is hugging the right lane line.

As with your example, the ultrasonic display is going all orange (or even red) clearly seeing that the car is very close to your right side. But if AP is in the middle of it's lane (which usually it is), it seems to ignore the presence of the intruding car, even if the ultrasonics notice it.

Clearly all the capabilities - cameras, ultrasonics, and radar should be fully working together for optimal results. Keep hoping to see obvious ultrasonic/AP synergy.

Autopilot on airplanes only holds a course, and as discussed here before, it's not autopilot, but "pilot assist". The driver is always required to be driving, hands on wheel, eyes on road. No, I would not think the car would take over driving for the driver. Yes, it is possible in the future that the car will do more of the actual driving.

I still go on the assumption that I'm smarter than the car, and understand that the driving assist is for highway use only. Mainly, as I don't do much highway, I drive. I think that's still the rule.

Correct. Im simply talking from a safety standpoint. It would seem logical that the sensors would talk to each other and adjust accordingly in the example I presented, or the poster right above.

Correct. They don't talk and they don't listen unless someone programs them to do so, and also programs them to take corrective action, whatever that might be. They don't. I recommend that people drive the car themselves. It's NOT autopilot, whatever that might be or whatever people think they want it to be.

I suppose that "from a safety standpoint" the car might not be allowed to drive over 40 mph or be allowed on roads that have speed limits above that. But the cars are not designed to operate "from a safety standpoint". Driving the way people think they want to drive requires tons of money for hardware, software, firmware, and insurance against drivers who will not use the equipment as recommended and designed.

It just ain't, and they don't.

Correct. They don't talk and they don't listen unless someone programs them to do so, and also programs them to take corrective action, whatever that might be. They don't. I recommend that people drive the car themselves. It's NOT autopilot, whatever that might be or whatever people think they want it to be.

I suppose that "from a safety standpoint" the car might not be allowed to drive over 40 mph or be allowed on roads that have speed limits above that. But the cars are not designed to operate "from a safety standpoint". Driving the way people think they want to drive requires tons of money for hardware, software, firmware, and insurance against drivers who will not use the equipment as recommended and designed.

It just ain't, and they don't.