Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Localization and Personalization

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

enemji

Dec 12, 2021
USA
With the introduction of V12, I had expressed a thought on the V12 thread that this will lead to development of Autopilot that is not only localized but also personalized. With that, I then went ahead and stopped using FSDb on my car for over a month. My car has V11.4.4 on 2023.32.9

Most of my driving is very repetitive - same destinations, using the same roads pretty much every day.

After over a month, I turned to using FSDb again, and the vehicle behaved very much the way I have driven on those roads, especially the following items. Keep in mind that most of the city roads I drive are 3 lane on each side. A couple of them are 2 lanes on each side. Here are some key situations:

1. when FSDb made a right turn from the rightmost lane of the 3 lanes, it would turn into the rightmost lane. When I drive, I make a turn from the right most lane to the left most lane. In the last 2 days of FSDb driving, it has done exactly that, and not what it used to do.

2. FSDb used to either stay on the left most lane or switch between lanes to keep the fastest speed. I always keep in the center lane, and then switch to either the left or right depending on where I am turning to. I do this switch right after the intersection prior to my turn. FSDb is now doing pretty much the same. It is keeping in the center lane even if the right or left lane is empty. It is not switching like it used to.

3. I stop my turn signal when I am at a traffic light and I have the red light. I don't like the turn signal going tik-tok tik-tok for 3 minutes. FSDb is now also doing so. IT stops signaling if it is at a red light and have to make a turn.

I will keep observing and see what else it is learning from my driving style.

From what I understand, FSD doesn’t learn on an individual car level. Even with future V12, the “end to end AI” is not happening in the car so there is no behavior learning at the car level.

Data is fed back to Tesla to help train the neural network, which is used to write updated code and deployed back to the cars in a future FSD update.

From what I understand, FSD doesn’t learn on an individual car level. Even with future V12, the “end to end AI” is not happening in the car so there is no behavior learning at the car level.

Data is fed back to Tesla to help train the neural network, which is used to write updated code and deployed back to the cars in a future FSD update.
what you state is theory. What I have above is practical results.

Reactions: KArnold
There is no “personalized“ learning in any adas/ads system. There is no training in the car, only data collection.

These systems need validation by the vendors prior to deployment and they can’t have thousands of different systems deployed obviously.

With the introduction of V12, I had expressed a thought on the V12 thread that this will lead to development of Autopilot that is not only localized but also personalized. With that, I then went ahead and stopped using FSDb on my car for over a month. My car has V11.4.4 on 2023.32.9

Most of my driving is very repetitive - same destinations, using the same roads pretty much every day.

After over a month, I turned to using FSDb again, and the vehicle behaved very much the way I have driven on those roads, especially the following items. Keep in mind that most of the city roads I drive are 3 lane on each side. A couple of them are 2 lanes on each side. Here are some key situations:

1. when FSDb made a right turn from the rightmost lane of the 3 lanes, it would turn into the rightmost lane. When I drive, I make a turn from the right most lane to the left most lane. In the last 2 days of FSDb driving, it has done exactly that, and not what it used to do.

2. FSDb used to either stay on the left most lane or switch between lanes to keep the fastest speed. I always keep in the center lane, and then switch to either the left or right depending on where I am turning to. I do this switch right after the intersection prior to my turn. FSDb is now doing pretty much the same. It is keeping in the center lane even if the right or left lane is empty. It is not switching like it used to.

3. I stop my turn signal when I am at a traffic light and I have the red light. I don't like the turn signal going tik-tok tik-tok for 3 minutes. FSDb is now also doing so. IT stops signaling if it is at a red light and have to make a turn.

While you seem to be living in a bit of an imaginary world😅, there better be some way for our cars to recognize localities under v12 inasmuch as motor vehicle rules of the road are not set at a national level. For example, anyone who has driven in car pool lanes in AZ and CA know that the rules and the road markings are quite different. Copying the behavior of good car pool drivers in CA via v12 will get me a ticket in AZ, or worse. (Maybe Elon plans to eliminate state motor vehicle departments and establish himself as national dictator.)

Last edited:

I am positively absolutely certain that my 2022 YLR is not localizing. Although 2 or 3 updates ago, it began behaving like your Tesla does on #3. #1, #2, + phantom braking, blowing stop signs and red lights, violently whipping back and forth after it is centered on the dividing line between 2 lanes before it gives up and screams "take control", etc., continue on.

I do wish it were learning something, but alas, it seems only to forget - things like how do windshield wipers work, releasing the charge cable if I walk up with my cell phone and push the button on the charge cable connector, that I am subscribed to premium connectivity, etc.

Reactions: KArnold