Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Show us your beautiful Tesla with ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did the expensive ceramic and I have loved that my 3 yo car has not had anything done to it since. But I worry about the transition from treated to normal. Once I wax the car the ceramic will be under that and will not bead anymore when the wax starts to wear. Do I just have to treated AGAIN when I hit the 5-year mark? Or should I be having it treated again already?

It depends on which specific coating you had installed originally. Some coatings only last a year or two, some professionally installed ones can last 5 years or longer.

Instead of a wax, I would try using a ceramic boost spray such as Adams Polishes Ceramic Boost. To maximize the life of the ceramic coating, it is important to wash it every 1-2 weeks and also to apply a ceramic boost spray once every 3 to 4 months. You can also further replenish the ceramic in the coating by using a ceramic-infused soap or rinseless wash when you do your regular washes.

I had the 5 year Opti-coat done, along with glassparancy which needs lots of updates. I do the normal two bucket setup in winter and the hose with soap and rinse, for the summer days. I do use the water free spray but usually just to lube the car for the wipe down in the summer. I hope it helps to prevent scratches.

My detailer recommended that I get Opti-coat maintenance wash, which has arrived, but I have yet to try it. Not sure if that is like a ceramic boost, or if it just doesn't damage the ceramic.

I had the 5 year Opti-coat done, along with glassparancy which needs lots of updates. I do the normal two bucket setup in winter and the hose with soap and rinse, for the summer days. I do use the water free spray but usually just to lube the car for the wipe down in the summer. I hope it helps to prevent scratches.

My detailer recommended that I get Opti-coat maintenance wash, which has arrived, but I have yet to try it. Not sure if that is like a ceramic boost, or if it just doesn't damage the ceramic.

Since you have a 5-year Opticoat coating, staying with the Opticoat family of products makes sense. I don't know if the Opticoat M Wash contains SiO2 or not. I did not see it listed in the M Wash description, so my guess is that it does not. But since it is designed to clean Opticoat coatings, using that makes sense.

My recommendation would be to buy some Hyperseal, which is the ceramic-infused spray sealant made by Opticoat and designed to be used with their coatings. After you wash your car with the Opticoat M Wash, you can use Hyperseal as a drying aid. It would add even more lubrication as you dry, reducing the chances of scratching or marring the paint, and it would leave some ceramic protection/boosting behind.

Hyperseal is expensive and there are cheaper ceramic boost sprays on the market. But it would have the best "synergy" with other Opticoat coatings and products. Plus a little goes a long way. You really don't need more than one spray per panel as you dry.

It sounds like you do quite a bit of proper hand washing on your car. If it was me, I would just pick an SiO2 or Graphene sealant and use those as maintenance from here. I wouldn't bother doing another full ceramic coating. Those products, applied every few months, will keep your car nice and shiny with all the water beading properties that ceramic coatings offer. They're so much cheaper and easier to apply that I don't think I'll ever do a ceramic coating again.

Just got my 2021 LR cermiced up about 3 hours ago. Looks LEGIT!

Attachments

• IMG_3027.jpeg
    IMG_3027.jpeg
    745 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3025.jpeg
    IMG_3025.jpeg
    694.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3024.PNG
    IMG_3024.PNG
    3.4 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3026.jpeg
    IMG_3026.jpeg