Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Showed Up To My Delivery Appointment (Again), My Model 3 Did Not (Again)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For context, see my Reddit post from a few days ago here:

I showed up to my delivery appointment, my Model 3 did not. • r/teslamotors

Just thought I would share an update here with this audience. After the disappointment of showing up to my Wednesday morning delivery appointment only to be told my car was MIA (and being promised it would be delivered by end-of-month), I showed up to my new appointment this afternoon. Of course, as soon as I walk in and let them know I'm here, I check my e-mail as I wait only to see they e-mailed me about an hour earlier to tell me my car would not be ready (I was already en-route to the SC when they sent it). Apparently, my car did not pass their pre-delivery inspection, so they send me home again and tell me they will give me an update on Monday. A few questions for you all:

Is it unusual for a Model 3 to not be ready for delivery over 48 hours after being delivered to the Service Center? I know they got it delivered Thursday morning. I'm happy they put it through QA pre-delivery, but I have no idea how much time that should take.

They mentioned that there was an issue with the car's firmware. That seemed very odd to me...shouldn't that just be a software update? Makes me think there was some serious build quality issues that they did not want to disclose. I did not think to ask to see the car...I wish I would have.

At this point, what are my options to just decline delivery? What happens to the $1,000 + $2,500 + ~$10,000 I've already paid Tesla? What if I tell them I just want to wait for the Standard Range to be available (as was my original plan)?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I think they’ll be fine with you choosing any of those options. Keep this car, ask for a new car, ask to delay to standard battery, ask for your money back.

My car didn’t pass delivery inspection either, but at least I got a phone call the night before, not an email an hour before...

• Helpful
Reactions: metier
It's a little odd that they were having you even come down there TWICE before the car had gone through the pre-delivery checks.

When I picked up my Model S it was only after they checked through everything, and they scheduled an appointment to pick it up.

If I was in your shoes I'd wait, and see what it looks like. Where your own check list, and if it doesn't pass then reject delivery.

...Is it unusual for a Model 3 to not be ready for delivery over 48 hours after being delivered to the Service Center? I know they got it delivered Thursday morning. I'm happy they put it through QA pre-delivery, but I have no idea how much time that should take.
astrosgp, FWIW I can understand how you must feel about the delivery of your car, especially after such a long wait. In terms of the quality of the car, I don't think you should worry yourself too much though. I think the most likely explanation is simply the timing. As other people have already mentioned, the firmware thing can take a full day; yours just happened to take place at what was probably one of the craziest periods for Tesla. Other posters here have shared their delivery experience over the last week and stated that it was so crazy and rushed that the entire delivery was only allowed 12 minutes. I would try calling to explain your concerns, and ask if someone there can address them for you. Good luck, and I hope you share your delivery experience here when you finally get there.

Yes, and Apr 1 started Q2. My joke and your correction of my joke are saying the same thing. Q2 will be the 200,000th car.
Just as an aside, Q2 was already going to be 200k almost guaranteed, as it would have been impossible for them to hit it in Q1 even if they had hit their goals for ramp up. Delivering to Canada likely means 200k won’t happen until July/Q3, which is probably why they’re switching to Canada all of a sudden.

Nah the 200k mark is going to happen in Q2 time-frame, why they're taking Canadian orders now

Delivering to Canada likely means 200k won’t happen until July/Q3, which is probably why they’re switching to Canada all of a sudden.
^^This^^ If they were worried about shifting it from Q1 to Q2 they would have started Canadian deliveries sooner. As it is there haven't been any actual deliveries (or at least not enough to matter), any deliveries made in Q2 will help to shift the 200K mark to Q3.

Same here, they promised to delivery my Model 3 on Memorial day. I changed my long weekend plans to celebrate receiving my Tesla. I received an email 9:15 AM that my car will not be ready due to a 'Cosmetic Imperfection' and they didn't share more details. They promised the car will be ready within 5 - 10 days but I didn't receive a new delivery date yet!

Today my VIN disappeared and I'm looking back to my reservation number that I've seen for 2 years and 2 months!

My insurance is active on the promised VIN already and the full downpayment 18K paid and cleared. Pretty disappointing!

Same here, they promised to delivery my Model 3 on Memorial day. I changed my long weekend plans to celebrate receiving my Tesla. I received an email 9:15 AM that my car will not be ready due to a 'Cosmetic Imperfection' and they didn't share more details. They promised the car will be ready within 5 - 10 days but I didn't receive a new delivery date yet!

Today my VIN disappeared and I'm looking back to my reservation number that I've seen for 2 years and 2 months!

My insurance is active on the promised VIN already and the full downpayment 18K paid and cleared. Pretty disappointing!

Getting a new vin? New car?

sorry your going thru this situation. I'm in the same boat as you about 2 weeks ago. I was lucky enough to find out by calling them and asking if they can charge my m3 to fill for a road trip i was going to take right after delivery and that's when they told me that my delivery was being reschedule because of the same problem your having. My is suppose to be minor in regards to the work that's needs t be done but I'll find out coming Monday when I'm due to pick it up.

as far as the vin going away. It still assigned to you. They've just been removing it on accounts of your delivery date was rescheduled but once you'll get a new delivery date. It should come back from what everyone told me. Mine never did but you can check if you still have the same vin by going to tesla.com and shop for a walk charger and add it to your cart. During check out its going to ask if you want it assign to your vin or buy it as a gift to someone else. That's when you'll know if the vin is still assigned to you. Hang in there, I know it's disappointing not getting the car on time but I've met 2 m3 owners in person during my trip to the supercharger with my MS loaner. Both said, it's worth it and lovel the car. I've been living thru the loaner and reading other people experiences online. See if they have MS loaner for you because of your issue with the body work that needs to be done on your m3. My wife is really thinking of buying either a pre-owned MS or an MX after driving this loaner. I drove our ICE car and I can't go back. EV all the way!!