Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shudder related to front engine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As some of you mind remember, I recently bought an used 2015 MS 70D. Quite some issues on the car of which some I've already fixed (door handles), some are still to be fixed (drivers window, pano roof, sway bar link).

But I also experience some "shudder", which is more alarming to me than other issues.
Shudder is not related to acceleration, when flooring the pedal, there is nothing strange around it.

This morning, 5°C. I drove on a straight road, cruise control set to 50kph. And it happened 3 times: for around 5 seconds the car shuddered like crazy. Felt it from the chasis and on the steering wheel. Whats interesting...after a while (my guess when things get up to temperature), the shudder is completely gone. So it only happens in the morning which I relate to lower temperatures.

It "seems" to me its coming from the front, like the front engine? Could it be? How can I diagnose it further? I have scan my tesla, but not savvy with it. Could it help? Can the SMT show which engine is in use and I could use that to link the shudder to front engine?

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Thank will do, but if thats the case, how could the shudder happen when driving straight, with cruise control set and no braking/accelerating?

Should some hard braking sessions fix the issue? Like hard braking from 100 to 0, repeat a few times?

I've had brake rotors warped so badly on another car that the car shuddered without using the brakes at all. Re-bedding the pads will not fix the problem if the rotors are warped and/or the pads are seized in the caliper. You'll need to have the rotors machined or replaced, and perhaps replace the pads if they are seized or worn unevenly.

Tires being out of round is another thing to check.

The really strange part though is that the symptoms sound like they are very temporary and not situational. While warped rotors may cause the car to shudder/vibrate, that is typically only noticeable under braking or at highway speeds. Flat spotted tires may go away once warmed up (if they are just flat spotted from sitting) but neither problem will present itself randomly for 5 seconds and then disappear.

As some of you mind remember, I recently bought an used 2015 MS 70D. Quite some issues on the car of which some I've already fixed (door handles), some are still to be fixed (drivers window, pano roof, sway bar link).

But I also experience some "shudder", which is more alarming to me than other issues.
Shudder is not related to acceleration, when flooring the pedal, there is nothing strange around it.

This morning, 5°C. I drove on a straight road, cruise control set to 50kph. And it happened 3 times: for around 5 seconds the car shuddered like crazy. Felt it from the chasis and on the steering wheel. Whats interesting...after a while (my guess when things get up to temperature), the shudder is completely gone. So it only happens in the morning which I relate to lower temperatures.

It "seems" to me its coming from the front, like the front engine? Could it be? How can I diagnose it further? I have scan my tesla, but not savvy with it. Could it help? Can the SMT show which engine is in use and I could use that to link the shudder to front engine?
Most likely, the drive shafts are worn on the front drive unit. Only covered under the 4 yr warranty.

I had mine replaced on my old car, see sig. SvC said it is common.

You can put the car in range mode, and SMT will display the power used in the Front DU.