Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signed Up for Tesla Solar and Two Power Walls Today in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in Home Depot today and they had a dude there with a Tesla shirt on and a Tesla Solar Panel sign beside him. I talked to him for about 15 minutes, and he got me signed up to have someone come to my house. They had a slot open the same day. They came out later today and gave me the whole spill. I decided to pull the plug then just to see what it was all about... 55% off the grid with two power wall 2's (total home and Model S charging) is going to cost me $37,000 before tax credits. I was wanting 100% off the grid coverage, but it would have cost me close to $60 when I was all done. They told me I can always add more panels later, but it was more than I wanted to pay. The whole start to finish time will be about four months to get it all done. The actual labor part will be 2-4 days. I hope it is all worth it. I will post pictures here when it is all done.

The whole start to finish time will be about four months to get it all done.

That seems excessive. When I recently added 14 (non-Tesla) panels to my home to add 4 more KW of juice to my mix, they actually had to BUILD the rack because of where I put it -- on the side of my house. Gorgeous job, by the way. They had it all done -- permits, inspections, and everything -- within 60 days. I already have a battery-based system to back up my most important loads, so the new system doesn't have batteries. Total cost $10,300 (less tax incentives to come).

Note I'm not saying your quoted COST is excessive, since it's unclear how much power you're getting, but the time seems awfully long.

Good for you. I’m very envious. Need the car and some time before I can show how much solar I need. Enjoy your roof and post lots of pics!,

Will do! Do to HOA, and getting setup with Tesla's approved energy company it will take something like June when it is all done, but I will take pictures of the whole process.

Is this the Tesla roof...or regular solar panels?

Tesla does not offer financing for the roof panels as of yet, so this is for the panels only. My quote was $65k for the roof...

That seems excessive. When I recently added 14 (non-Tesla) panels to my home to add 4 more KW of juice to my mix, they actually had to BUILD the rack because of where I put it -- on the side of my house. Gorgeous job, by the way. They had it all done -- permits, inspections, and everything -- within 60 days. I already have a battery-based system to back up my most important loads, so the new system doesn't have batteries. Total cost $10,300 (less tax incentives to come).

Note I'm not saying your quoted COST is excessive, since it's unclear how much power you're getting, but the time seems awfully long.

I agree that there would be much lower cost options, but I want it monitored by Tesla, connected to all in one app, and backed by Tesla because I trust them. 20 Year manufacture, maintenance, and production warranty is the biggest reason I went with Tesla. (Oh, and the power wall 2 is so cool looking too!!!)

Congrats. We did an online conference with Tesla last Friday and discussed solar with Powerwalls. We'll be signing up today or tomorrow to get the ball rolling. We're hoping for 100% coverage of last years usage and will hope to have an 11 to 14 kW system, depending on the site survey results.
20 Year manufacture, maintenance, and production warranty is the biggest reason I went with Tesla. (Oh, and the power wall 2 is so cool looking too!!!)

If it's not too late, can you still use a referral to get the 5 extra years of warranty? If so, let me know and I'd be happy to send you a code.