Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Since my MC2/HW3 upgrade, the car will not sleep when plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- Turn off mobile access completely and limit the phantom loss/vampire drain (I cannot confirm that the car is actually sleeping)
- Turn the mobile access on and experience about 100-125W of power use while idle. That's about 3% of power loss a day on my S 75D; and about 4 times what the draw was while idle on MCU1.

Tesla also had me stop using all 3rd party apps while we were troubleshooting this issue (I regret missing gather stats for a couple of trips, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do). And during that period I wasn't able to tell if the car was sleeping with the granularity that TeslaFi offered. So I made a spreadsheet and tracked time and SOC so it was pretty clear that the car was still consuming power at an excessive rate while it was unused.

Now that the issue is as addressed as it's going to get I am showing about 1-2% loss a day for my MX 75D and that's with 3 3rd pary apps (TeslaFi, Tesla Remote (rego apps) and Stats app) in addition to Tesla's own app.
I don't see any difference in power consumption if I use none or all of the apps.

Tesla also had me stop using all 3rd party apps while we were troubleshooting this issue (I regret missing gather stats for a couple of trips, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do). And during that period I wasn't able to tell if the car was sleeping with the granularity that TeslaFi offered. So I made a spreadsheet and tracked time and SOC so it was pretty clear that the car was still consuming power at an excessive rate while it was unused.

I have the feeling that the idle power consumption was somehow reduced in the ~40 hours I turned off mobile access (and all first-and-third-party apps, obviously). I will try that again the next time I know the car will be unused for 48+ hours. If it really is the case, it solved half a problem (i.e.: I can leave my car idle for long periods of time without having to be afraid of returning to an empty battery)…. but it still pretty much suck that the power consumption is so much worse than it should be.

Reactions: EagleOne
So I just did a quick test during which I turned off both Mobile Access and all logging, and although with that time frame it is not 100% conclusive, the result is that I lost exactly 0 km of range in 30 hours.

As a frame of reference, I usually loose between 10 and 20km a day in those same conditions.

My best test will be to reconduct that 24/48 hours idle test with Mobile Acess turned on and logging off. I will keep you guys updated with the results.

EDIT: When I do this, I also notice that the car seems to “wake up” differently (I hear the loud battery clicks, which I don’t when logging is turned on and the car doesn’t sleep). The only time I hear the clicks with logging turned on is when I get the “LTE Offline” bug (when LTE is shown as offline and takes upwards of 5 minutes to re-connect).

I did some quick math and my range loss was right at about 16 km/day before my sleep started working properly. So I feel you.

I had a trip where I left my car parked waiting for me for 7 days and ended up losing about 30% of my charge. I was very lucky that they had a level 2 charger on site so I was able to top off before I left for my trip and not worry about coming back to a dead car. But the anxiety is real.
Hopefully you find the magic sauce for your car since it seems it's going to be different for everybody facing this issue.