Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single Women Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time I have seen this thread. A Tesla group for women might be fun!

I am not single, but I am female and an aerospace engineer, which seems even rarer most days. My husband is also an engineer, but of the software sort, so he doesn't like to get his hands dirty. ;) I am the one normally found out in the garage working on the cars or fixing up stuff around the house.

I trend towards the nerd spectrum being an engineer, so I currently own a Volt which is the coolest tech car out there other than Tesla. Reserved my Model 3 (the Model S is out of my price range) and am really looking forward to officially becoming a Tesla owner.

Just saw this thread pop up. I'm male, but my SO is the car person in the family. Her father was a mechanic who ended up owning a car dealership in Portland. She spent her spare time as a teen working at the dealership and learned a lot about cars working on them with her father. She wanted to be a race car driver, but this was long before any woman had competed in any major races (like Janet Guthrie) and she is incredibly smart so her father encouraged her to take a more intellectual route.

When she graduated from college she and her then boyfriend traveled around North America for six months in a VW bus. She tells of dropping the engine in a parking lot in Detroit to adjust the valves and replacing generator in North Carolina. Her boyfriend was way too emasculated by the experience and the relationship didn't last very long after they got back.

She also tells the story of changing the battery on my car on our second date. I did the heavy lifting, but she was the only one with hands small enough to reach the retaining bolt with the tools we had. I was quite impressed she could determine the exact size of the bolt head by feel alone.

She's scary knowledgeable about old cars. I've seen her identify a classic car when all she saw was a tiny corner of the bumper.

She doesn't had many problems with sales people of any stripe. If they start giving her the runaround, she either leaves or hangs up (if on the phone). Last time she bought a car, she figured out what she wanted and at what price, called all the Subaru dealers for 100 miles around and gave them one chance to meet her price. If they tried to haggle, it was "I guess you don't want to do business with me, bye!"

I am the engineer of the family and I did work in aerospace (at Boeing from 87-94), but I'm an Electronic Engineer by training and do mostly software these days. I'll get my hands dirty with a soldering iron and have been a lab rat since my teenage years, but I've never been that into cars. Aircraft are a different story (going to the Chino air museum as a kid beat Disneyland hands down).

In this your SO?

upload_2016-4-27_23-26-49.png

:)

She's a red head. She thinks she's "average" looking, but others have described her as "gorgeous". I always found intelligence and emotional maturity/stability far more attractive than physical looks. She has both in spades, her physical attractiveness is just a bonus.

No relationship is perfect, but overall I got very lucky.

Just saw this thread pop up. I'm male, but my SO is the car person in the family. Her father was a mechanic who ended up owning a car dealership in Portland. She spent her spare time as a teen working at the dealership and learned a lot about cars working on them with her father. She wanted to be a race car driver, but this was long before any woman had competed in any major races (like Janet Guthrie) and she is incredibly smart so her father encouraged her to take a more intellectual route.

When she graduated from college she and her then boyfriend traveled around North America for six months in a VW bus. She tells of dropping the engine in a parking lot in Detroit to adjust the valves and replacing generator in North Carolina. Her boyfriend was way too emasculated by the experience and the relationship didn't last very long after they got back.

She also tells the story of changing the battery on my car on our second date. I did the heavy lifting, but she was the only one with hands small enough to reach the retaining bolt with the tools we had. I was quite impressed she could determine the exact size of the bolt head by feel alone.

She's scary knowledgeable about old cars. I've seen her identify a classic car when all she saw was a tiny corner of the bumper.

She doesn't had many problems with sales people of any stripe. If they start giving her the runaround, she either leaves or hangs up (if on the phone). Last time she bought a car, she figured out what she wanted and at what price, called all the Subaru dealers for 100 miles around and gave them one chance to meet her price. If they tried to haggle, it was "I guess you don't want to do business with me, bye!"

I am the engineer of the family and I did work in aerospace (at Boeing from 87-94), but I'm an Electronic Engineer by training and do mostly software these days. I'll get my hands dirty with a soldering iron and have been a lab rat since my teenage years, but I've never been that into cars. Aircraft are a different story (going to the Chino air museum as a kid beat Disneyland hands down).
I seriously thought my bf had finally joined this forum for a minute, until you got to the VW part. LOL! I think your SO and I would get along well!

She's a red head. She thinks she's "average" looking, but others have described her as "gorgeous". I always found intelligence and emotional maturity/stability far more attractive than physical looks. She has both in spades, her physical attractiveness is just a bonus.

No relationship is perfect, but overall I got very lucky.

I think HankLloydRight was going more after the character reference of Mona Lisa Vito there, rather than the physical appearance of Merissa Tomei.

I seriously thought my bf had finally joined this forum for a minute, until you got to the VW part. LOL! I think your SO and I would get along well!

You just might. She has women friends, but most of her friends are guys. I'm the opposite, most of my friends are women. Good thing neither of us tends towards jealousy.

I think HankLloydRight was going more after the character reference of Mona Lisa Vito there, rather than the physical appearance of Merissa Tomei.

I guess the analogy was kind of overwhelmed with the Jersey girl thing, which isn't her at all. She has spent 90% of her life here in the Portland area and she's more Portlandia than Jersey girl (none of the extreme cases from the show, but along that trend line).

Have you seen the movie "My Cousin Vinny"? If not, you should! It's great. The reference will make much more sense. ;)

I only saw it once about the time it came out and I didn't make the connection and as I said to deonb, she's more Portlandia than Jersey girl so I missed the personality reference.

We ARE twins separated at birth. I have always had way more guy friends than women friends. My two closest friends are men.

Are you familiar with Jean Bolen's "Goddesses in Everywoman"? Most of my friends found themselves in there, most of them are Aphrodites and Athenas. My SO is one of the purest Athena I've ever seen. My sister may be the only woman I've known who is more Athena. My sister even dresses as a guy, jeans and a button down shirt (like a cowboy shirt) are her norm.

Goddesses in Everywoman: - Kindle edition by Jean Shinoda Bolen M.D.. Religion & Spirituality Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

I only saw it once about the time it came out and I didn't make the connection and as I said to deonb, she's more Portlandia than Jersey girl so I missed the personality reference.

Are you familiar with Jean Bolen's "Goddesses in Everywoman"? Most of my friends found themselves in there, most of them are Aphrodites and Athenas. My SO is one of the purest Athena I've ever seen. My sister may be the only woman I've known who is more Athena. My sister even dresses as a guy, jeans and a button down shirt (like a cowboy shirt) are her norm.

Goddesses in Everywoman: - Kindle edition by Jean Shinoda Bolen M.D.. Religion & Spirituality Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
I'll check it out, thanks!

Hi Ladies:

My name is Deb Seymour and I just joined TMC as I am the new(est) owner of a 2014 Model S.

It is actually my fourth electric car, the first having been a Candian-made ZENN electric, the second a 2013 red Nissan LEAF that was unfortunately totaled, the third being a 2016 LEAF which was the replacement for the totaled one, and now I have "Sir Percival T" as well:)

Anyway, just returned from a seven-state, 5508 mile road trip and enounterd zero women Tesla owners, in fact, zero solo female travelers of any kind. Wow.

Anyway, photos,of trip are at Instagram.com/debgoesgreen and my blog is at debgoesgreen.com

Tell me about you all!

-Deb (& Sir Percival T. Tesla, of course!)

image.jpeg

Hi Ladies:
Anyway, just returned from a seven-state, 5508 mile road trip and enounterd zero women Tesla owners, in fact, zero solo female travelers of any kind. Wow.
Welcome Deb, how FUN!! My guess is that at least 10% of Tesla owners are women - just from looking at attendees at the TRTs. As OregonHill suggests, if you can make it to TMC Connect in two days, you can meet a lot of us :). Should be a great time, and if you haven't met Chelsea Sexton yet, I'm thinking you (4x EV owner!) would really enjoy that - she is brilliant, charming, articulate, passionate about EVs and very warm and approachable too, so not to be missed :).

Reactions: OregonHill
Deb! Hope you are coming to TMC connect! You will meet us! It looks like you are at the Ellensburg supercharger. I haven't taken my X up that way yet; but I will! Welcome to the group.:)

I sooo wish I could! But I only *just* a few days ago returned from a 5000+ mile Tesla Road trip (five weeks long, seven states and, ironically, Reno was one of the stops. See a picture on the other post of the Atlantis Hotel SC) other photos At Instagram.com/debgoesgreen.

So Bad timing.... (Plus TMC moved venues) ....but: next year! I will have had 2 More Tesla Rd. trips under my belt aand even more stories to tell

image.jpeg
Welcome Deb, how FUN!! My guess is that at least 10% of Tesla owners are women - just from looking at attendees at the TRTs. As OregonHill suggests, if you can make it to TMC Connect in two days, you can meet a lot of us :). Should be a great time, and if you haven't met Chelsea Sexton yet, I'm thinking you (4x EV owner!) would really enjoy that - she is brilliant, charming, articulate, passionate about EVs and very warm and approachable too, so not to be missed :).

As of said to the other gals I so wish I could! But I only just returned from a 5000 mile five week trip and I have to work:) Anyway I look forward to meeting you gals next year when I have more test miles and road trips to chat about. I'm bad timing this year. Also didn't they just change the venue to Reno from San Diego or am I mixing that up with the prior TMC connect meeting anyway the whole trip wasn't happy world and getting a Tesla is a happy whirl and thanks for replying !

Reactions: OregonHill