Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Six Error Codes before work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got in the car today 18 MS 75D ready to go to work and got 6 error codes before it decided everything was okay so I took off for work and everything was normal. The car was not plugged in because I was going to charge at work but the battery heat and climate preconditioning were on. Just had it in the service center Monday where they did an inspection (just bought the car used), frunk latch recall, and replaced a back door handle that didn't always want to open. The codes were 2 "Vehicle may not restart", "Power reduced", "Please wait while system performs check BMS_u016", "electrical system power reduced", and "Unable to drive". Then they all went away and I drove to work, plugged it in and haven't seen anything else pop up yet.

20230317_140443.jpg

That is about what it looks like when your 12V battery is going bad. Put in a service request, they will check the logs and confirm/deny
Not to thrilled about having service check the logs. They tried to get me on that one while I was in there telling me an error code threw up in the morning before I showed up and I told them the car sent me a text saying it had a charge interrupted, and that was because I forgot to stop charge before I unlocked the charger (was using an adapter) but wanted to charge me an hour labor to tell me my car probably texted me the error because they didn't know for sure. For the price they charged me for the inspection that should have been included anyway. Might just go get a new battery the car's 5 years old and it probably hasn't been changed anyway.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Not to thrilled about having service check the logs. They tried to get me on that one while I was in there telling me an error code threw up in the morning before I showed up and I told them the car sent me a text saying it had a charge interrupted, and that was because I forgot to stop charge before I unlocked the charger (was using an adapter) but wanted to charge me an hour labor to tell me my car probably texted me the error because they didn't know for sure. For the price they charged me for the inspection that should have been included anyway. Might just go get a new battery the car's 5 years old and it probably hasn't been changed anyway.
they typically charge about $200 (battery included) to come and replace it for you and no charge to check logs, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: sovrin
they typically charge about $200 (battery included) to come and replace it for you and no charge to check logs, but I could be wrong.
Na... They wanted to charge me an hour of labor to trouble shoot the code that the service guy said he didn't know what it was but was "probably" just the notification the car sent to me that morning because it happened at almost the same time. Point was he was guessing and admitted he was guessing then said it will cost almost $200 just to tell me my car texted me early that morning, but it might be something else. Well this was right after they told me they couldn't fix the back door handle and it would need to be replaced so the total price was approaching $1000 I told them to fix the handle and forget about the troubleshooting. I took it in for the recall on the frunk and to get a spare key and wanted the car inspected since I just bought it used and they charged $150 for the inspection which was 2 sheets of paper and didn't look like anything more than a complementary inspection anyway. Not really impressed.

The car drove home fine by the way and is now charging in my garage. No more errors "Yet"!!!

If the 12v is good after charging the main pack then check it again after it has sat overnight or during the day.
Will do. That's what I was thinking because I had let the car sit overnight without charging yesterday. I was going to charge at work and because it was preconditioning the car when I got in my first thought was 12volt battery. Especially after everything cleared and it worked fine. Hopefully that's what it is.

The list of errors is a bit daunting, I believe there is some HV isolation possible issues as you did mentioned that you heated the car. It might be just the PTC heater or if more serious it can get you stranded as the battery heater will bring up failure to start the car. I was not that lucky and had to get a flatbed to service (battery heater failure).

I've got a quick update... I have been able to track down the error codes popping up ONLY when I use the pre-conditioning for the battery. It's been warmer so not been using it much at all and even when I do use it now if the codes come up its only BMS_f035 and BMS_w035 then the BMS_u016 system check and they disappear before I even see them on the screen and can only be seen in the notifications list. So I'm not sure if there is an actual problem with the battery heater or not since it clears it out so fast after a self check? I'm going to roll with it for now and have it looked at if I have to go in for something else but at least I'll be prepared going into next winter where this could become a problem.

If I wouldn't have gone into the service-notifications and looked over the past month the few times I used the pre-conditioning I wouldn't have even known the error codes where there because they are gone by the time I get in the car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS
Had the same thing happen to me recently (about two weeks ago) at a supercharger. When I was finished charging (sat in the car during the session watching videos), I unplugged, got back in the car, pressed the brake pedal and was greeted with:

Please wait while system performs checks

Followed by:
BMS_f071 (Unable to start - service required)
DI_u014 (Unable to drive - Voltage supply too low)
GTW_w018 (Electrical system power reduced - vehicle may shut down unexpectedly)
BMS_w151 (Vehicle may not restart - service is required)
BMS_w035 (Vehicle may not restart - service is required)

Followed by the car disabling the AC leaving me sitting at a supercharger on a 95 degree day unable to move. I tried a power off/restart from the MCU menu which did nothing then called Tesla roadside support.

While roadside was gathering my info, all errors cleared on their own and the system came back to life as if nothing happened. Roadside suggested I open a service ticket to have the logs reviewed which I did. The car has been fine since.

On the day of the scheduled appointment, the service center called me (we have FANTASTIC service centers in our area) to see if I needed my car towed to the service center. I told the SA what happened with the car and that it has been fine since. She told me that they have seen a few instances of this happening during/after supercharging and believe it's a firmware issue dealing with the car performing checks out of order and freaking out. Said to let them know if it happens again.

it happened to me while driving... I was driving at 170 km/h on the highway, I heard a noise as if a motorcycle had passed me, and immediately the errors appeared on the board. I managed to get home at 40 km/h, I stopped the car and in the morning it didn't manage to leave the place.. since then it shows me the same errors, and now the dashboard doesn't initialize either.. I try to disengage the handbrake and climb it on a platform and I don't succeed..

I have measured the insulation of ac compressor with a megger and seams to have have problem.. but I don’t have a diagram with all the connectors from the front of vehicle.. does anyone now which is tha cable for heater?

First, it would be good to know what model we are talking about and secondly what type of a 12V battery did you installed. Also did all the messages appeared after the 12V battery change or before? It is also good practice to search here before jumping out with a arbitrary questions that no-one can answer.

Tesla Model s75 2017
I searched last night for 6 hours… I didn’t find anything similar… that’s why I launched this question.. i have changed the 12v battery about 2 months ago, the car was running with no problems..