Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Skid plate/undercarriage shield on 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same as Flux, on my 2018 I replaced my slightly damaged one with an aluminum one with the vent holes and noise dampening foam. (Added some extra felt around the screw holes to reduce scuffing on metal surfaces). Seems to have the same level of noise dampening with the added benefit of way more protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: fluxcapacitor
I have an MPP aluminum skid plate up front and I have a plastic OEM one from a 2021+ M3 on order for the rear-mid. Hopefully it is interchangeable! Anything is better than the pressed felt that comes from the factory and for only $240CAD for the OEM plastic one it seems like a good deal.

When the Model Y was released all of the underbody panels were plastic. They followed suit on the refresh Model 3 for 2021. They appear to be the same dimensions, the surrounding covers are still the same part numbers as pre-refresh 3's as well so I hoping they are interchangeable. I had a chance to look at the plastic one from a refresh and they are pretty robust, obviously not as good as an aluminum skid plate but a huge improvement from the old pressed felt.

Update: The rear-mid aero shield (between battery and rear subframe) from a 2021+ Model 3 is ALMOST a direct fit onto my 2018. Everything bolts right up except for where the shield is fixed to the rear wheel well liners. The liners have a small plastic block bracket with a speed nut which was previously bolted through the old shield. The new shield has this bracket built in and it and a hole in the vertical lip of the shield which looks like on a 2021 there is a matching hole in the wheel well liner, and they are joined with a clip. Very easy to modify and make it fit. I simply drilled out the plastic rivets that held the bracket onto the liner, and then drilled a hole in the liner that matched up with the one in the new shield. I slid on the speed nut from the old bracket, and fixed with the bolt. It fits perfectly everywhere else.

I purchased front 1499151-00-C and rear 1498771-00-E that came off a 2022 Model Y, but have not tried installing them onto my 2020 Model 3 yet. Tesla parts catalog lists 1498771-00-D for both Model 3 and Y so hoping the "E" version fits fine. "E" is not even listed for Model Y in the parts catalog yet. I'll probably run into same issue as Jeff posted above.

Last edited:
I purchased front 1499151-00-C and rear 1498771-00-E that came off a 2022 Model Y, but have not tried installing them onto my 2020 Model 3 yet. Tesla parts catalog lists 1498771-00-D for both Model 3 and Y so hoping the "E" version fits fine. "E" is not even listed for Model Y in the parts catalog yet. I'll probably run into same issue as Jeff posted above.
the rear stock skid plate for the m3 and mY is different just to let you know

• Helpful
Reactions: Adam3
the rear stock skid plate for the m3 and mY is different just to let you

Ok, thanks. This is why I thought mY version would be compatible. But mine isn't a 2022...

m3rear.JPG

I had mine replaced last year when it ripped. I have a 2018, unfortunately it was replaced with the same fiberboard. I asked and they said there wasn't an upgraded version (I guess at least not for my year). It took him 5 minutes to replace but it was pretty expensive for the part. Next time (if there is one) I will buy the metal replacement online and do it myself.

better off going with the hps aluminum plate

I personally wouldnt ever buy that particular one, because I am very much against astroturfing, and someone associated with that company did that here for a while.

(Astroturfing = a person representing a company or selling a product pretends to not be affiliated with said company or product, and tries to raise public awareness / likability of a product by pretending to be regular feedback)

Reactions: MrFusion4
I had mine replaced last year when it ripped. I have a 2018, unfortunately it was replaced with the same fiberboard. I asked and they said there wasn't an upgraded version (I guess at least not for my year). It took him 5 minutes to replace but it was pretty expensive for the part. Next time (if there is one) I will buy the metal replacement online and do it myself.
im kinda surprised they gave you the fabric one cause i think they stopped using those since early 2021 models i think