Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleepy Tesla and Hapless Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought a new M3P- in November 2019. Early on the car wouldn’t wake after 12 hours while not connected to WiFi. Within a week talked to sales agents / service center who told me to do soft reset. It did not help.

At this point I dropped the ball and gave up trying to solve the issue until last month.

Scheduled an appointment with service center regarding the sleepy Tesla and was told that it is a know issue. They said they are working on a firmware update.

There is no date if when and it seems like I have no choice but to live this.

Does anyone have suggestions to resolve this or get an ETA from them on a fix.

Can you provide some more details on what you mean by “the car wouldn’t wake after 12 hours”. Are you talking about waking it up by connecting to it through the app? Is your car in an area with a good connection to the internet? If your cellular connection is weak it may not be able to receive a signal from the app to wake up. If it works properly when connected to wifi that’s probably a good indication that it’s a weak cellular connection.

There have been a number of OTA software updates since November and I don’t recall anyone having this problem with any of the recent software revisions.

Can you provide some more details on what you mean by “the car wouldn’t wake after 12 hours”. Are you talking about waking it up by connecting to it through the app? Is your car in an area with a good connection to the internet? If your cellular connection is weak it may not be able to receive a signal from the app to wake up. If it works properly when connected to wifi that’s probably a good indication that it’s a weak cellular connection.

When I get into the car the LTE has the line across it. When I pull in to my spot I have a "solid" two bars. If I try to wake the car within 2-4 hours it works. However, when left over night my LTE goes dead, signified with a line over it.

I know that the location has sufficient LTE otherwise it wouldn't work for the 2-4 hours post parking. It seems like some process disables the LTE and than doesn't wake it creating the issue.

When I get into the car the LTE has the line across it. When I pull in to my spot I have a "solid" two bars. If I try to wake the car within 2-4 hours it works. However, when left over night my LTE goes dead, signified with a line over it.

I know that the location has sufficient LTE otherwise it wouldn't work for the 2-4 hours post parking. It seems like some process disables the LTE and than doesn't wake it creating the issue.

Do you only have this problem in that one spot or does the cellular connection get lost regardless of where you park?

Where is the car parked? Is it parked underground, where there is no limited connectivity?

I park in an underground space at my condominium with no LTE connectivity. It takes some time for it get LTE back, not usually more than a few minutes. Only a couple times the LTE was not picked up after driving to work (about 30 mins).

Is this a similar situation to yours?

Where is the car parked? Is it parked underground, where there is no limited connectivity?

I park in an underground space at my condominium with no LTE connectivity. It takes some time for it get LTE back, not usually more than a few minutes. Only a couple times the LTE was not picked up after driving to work (about 30 mins).

Is this a similar situation to yours?

Sounds close. Though I have connection while in the parking garage and it isn't strong, but it is 2 bars out of 5.

Happens at home in a parking garage and at work where I park in an outdoor lot. Rarer at work since I tend to interact with the car every couple of hours.

If possible, try parking overnight in an area where you know you have a strong cellular connection. If you still have the same problem, I would guess you may have a bad cellular modem. You may need to rephrase the problem when you write up the description in the service request. Try to avoid mentioning the app not waking the car up and focus on the car not holding its cellular connection consistently.

If possible, try parking overnight in an area where you know you have a strong cellular connection. If you still have the same problem, I would guess you may have a bad cellular modem. You may need to rephrase the problem when you write up the description in the service request. Try to avoid mentioning the app not waking the car up and focus on the car not holding its cellular connection consistently.
Good advice. If ? When? I get this resolved I'll update the thread.

• Disagree
Reactions: Char