Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow “wake up” time on 48.12.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone, running Android 6.0.1, the waking up time has been a severe problem ever since I got the car in May. I've turned the airplane mode on and off many times, for no other reason than to get the damn app to wake up! Fix THIS instead of making fart noises, Tesla!

I think it has to do with how often they power the receivers on in the cars. The more frequently they scan, the higher the phantom drain. There is probably an algorithm that determines this maybe even specific to the use of your car. Mine usually takes almost a minute or more. The request has to go from my phone to my DSL WiFi to Tesla and back through the WiFi to the car. I have very little phantom drain.

Since updating to 48.12.1, I’ve noticed that when opening the Tesla app, it now takes about 20-23 seconds for the car to wake up. It used to take 5-7 seconds before.

Anyone else have this issue? Nothing has changed with my WiFi or parking location.
I've had my Model 3 since early April and very rarely have I had the Tesla app open in less than 10 seconds. For me 20-30 seconds is "normal" even when I am already connected.
Android, Galaxy S8. There doesn't seem to be any pattern on how long it takes to open the app.

It takes forever (several minutes) sometimes on ours and I’ve had it time out to the point you need to actually go to the car to wake it up. They are doing something different with the software recently as I’m seeing this with our X also. Very strange.

(Current iOS phones before anyone goes down that road. The car responds as a key perfectly. It’s the app I’m talking about.)

Last edited:
I've definitely noticed a longer time to both wake up with the app, and to open the door with the phone. It also seems that if I don't bother to wake up with the app, like to pre-heat the car, then it opens more quickly. I have the latest app version. Something is surely off here.

On my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone, running Android 6.0.1, the waking up time has been a severe problem ever since I got the car in May. I've turned the airplane mode on and off many times, for no other reason than to get the damn app to wake up! Fix THIS instead of making fart noises, Tesla!

Your phone could also be contributing factor: You have a really old version of Android plus all of Samsung's crapware.
You hear a very similar complaint with many different devices when people try to connect their phones.

I've had my Tesla Model 3 for over a month and I also have a Galaxy S8... My Tesla app never takes over 3 to 4 seconds to open and connect. Oh, I am also running 48.12.1 and I am not on WiFi.
Here are my Galaxy S8 settings. Are yours different since my wake up time averages 20-30 seconds and your wake up time is much shorter?
On the plus side I have not had a single problem unlocking my car for months.

Attachments

• Galaxy S8 settings2.png
    Galaxy S8 settings2.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 83