Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow charging when Powerwall cold, apparently normal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is really just an FYI, I didn’t see anything about this issue here, apologies if I missed it.

We live at the NC coast, and while we have 4 seasons, it doesn’t often get really cold here. Today, with a high of 32F after a low of about 20F, is very unusual. So, about noon today, my house load (EV, heat pumps, etc.) dropped off (passive solar coming in) and the panels were generating enough to send power to the Powerwall. But, I noticed that it was only getting 1.5 kW, with the rest going to the grid (I’m in self consumption mode, so it shouldn’t do that with headroom in the PW, which was only at 30%, the current backup reserve). So I called Tesla. I was on hold for about 20 minutes ;-) and I watched the charge rate to the PW inch up over time. So by the time the Tesla rep got online and connected to my PW, my theory was that the PW (outside) was cold and had to warm up to accept a faster charge. And he confirmed that.

So, that’s it, YMMV!

-Joel

• Informative
Reactions: PBBear
This is really just an FYI, I didn’t see anything about this issue here, apologies if I missed it.

We live at the NC coast, and while we have 4 seasons, it doesn’t often get really cold here. Today, with a high of 32F after a low of about 20F, is very unusual. So, about noon today, my house load (EV, heat pumps, etc.) dropped off (passive solar coming in) and the panels were generating enough to send power to the Powerwall. But, I noticed that it was only getting 1.5 kW, with the rest going to the grid (I’m in self consumption mode, so it shouldn’t do that with headroom in the PW, which was only at 30%, the current backup reserve). So I called Tesla. I was on hold for about 20 minutes ;-) and I watched the charge rate to the PW inch up over time. So by the time the Tesla rep got online and connected to my PW, my theory was that the PW (outside) was cold and had to warm up to accept a faster charge. And he confirmed that.

So, that’s it, YMMV!

-Joel

That makes sense. The installer for my two Powerwall indicated something similar...