Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slowly looking for a used M S, what should I check ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's just my opinion, and I never tell someone what to do, but will share what I did if that's Ok?.

I picked the seller first, then bought his car.

The better your experience my experience with the seller, the better my confidence in the car.

My seller was genuinely pained to sell his car. I shared empathy. He took less than he wanted. I paid more than I hoped. But in the end, it was one enthusiast facilitating an obvious new enthusiast. He was happy. I was happy. He kept and shared screen shots of every month's kWh usage...which he religiously reset on the first of every month. He range charged the car periodically and took pix of the max range with his phone. The tires were all at exactly 45psi. A tiny chip in the windshield had been fixed. The annual service had been done. He had a photo album of his road trips.

He was the seller I wanted. Oh...and I wanted his car too. Flew 2,100 miles to get the car. Drove it home.

I only share this because I am a total believer in a relationship deal. Flippers and dealers...they don't know diddly about the car...leaving you to guess.

Find an awesome owner and buy his/her car. There are a LOT of awesome enthusiastic owners in the Model S world. Everything else will fall into place nicely.

There's probably not much difference between an owner who took care of his car, and someone who mashed it other than some tires and a few swirl marks. I'd just make sure there's not obvious parking dents/scratches and the interior looks good.

The battery has an 8 year unlimited mileage warranty so I would not worry about it.
That doesn't help with capacity loss. There can be major differences in capacity loss based on how the first owner treated the car. How deep were their discharge cycles? How long did the car sit at a high SOC? Did they practice "just-in-time" charging? How much did they accelerate aggressively? The high discharge levels of rapid acceleration are potentially of particular concern since cell voltage variation will increase under load, progressively making the weak cells even weaker.

I just found the ev-cpo.com website, great one !

For the battery status, can't I just see what the health is, like in a Leaf ? On the Leaf you count the number of bars. On the Tesla ? I suspect it needs to be 100% charged and you need to check the range, is that it ?

I agree w/ JeffS if that is possible. I have complete logs of my car, tons of pictures video and data....but will not ever part with it!
you should be able to estimate 100% reasonably based on % SOC. My car shows ~250 at 100% & 200 at 80% and 125 at 50%
the last couple of years of firmware seem to be mostly linear in this regard.