Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Air suspension confirmed for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven many Model S's with air suspension. I MUCH prefer the coils I had on my S. I just left my Model 3 with service for a few days (minor fixes). They loaned me an S with air suspension. It is so much less connected to the road that driving with air suspension feels almost scarey. If AWD only comes with air suspension, I'd simply stay with RWD (which is more fun anyway).

• Love
Reactions: Brando and davidc18
Elon Musk have now confirmed that SAS will be linked together with dual motor in about six months.
Elon Musk on Twitter
So as of now, there is no indication that the Dual Motor option is “linked” to SAS. People are configuring Dual Motor 3’s right now and there is no choice for SAS or a statement that it is part of the Dual Motor option.

It does seems certain that in the future SAS will be an available option for the 3. But right now it is not.

I had an S with coils and currently have an X with SAS. I liked the coils. They were not available for the X. I am happy that the 3 Dual Motor has coils. But I can understand why many people would like their 3 to have the SAS.

So as of now, there is no indication that the Dual Motor option is “linked” to SAS. People are configuring Dual Motor 3’s right now and there is no choice for SAS or a statement that it is part of the Dual Motor option.

It does seems certain that in the future SAS will be an available option for the 3. But right now it is not.

I had an S with coils and currently have an X with SAS. I liked the coils. They were not available for the X. I am happy that the 3 Dual Motor has coils. But I can understand why many people would like their 3 to have the SAS.
"Linked to" just means that if you want SAS, you have to get AWD. It doesn't mean that AWD will come with SAS. Just means no SAS on RWD.

I've come around on this since the decrease in price of the Performance package. Originally I was hoping SAS would be included as it would have made the original pricing easier to swallow. But now? I'm more than ok with the coils. Sometime down the road I may go with the Mountain Pass KW coilover kit. Need my car first. :D

You are exactly right when you say to each his own. I agree.

Question: Are you willing to give up the Tax Benefit for it?

In my state of Oregon there's a $2500 rebate that's not yet finalized because of litigation thanks to AAA. They expect a verdict in the next 2 months or so. At max value per car it's about 4000 cars a year that get it (first come first serve). It's too late for this year as they must have people already lined up to exceed that. But getting a car early next year with SAS (say February?) I would be eligible and my penalty all things considered is $1250. If SAS is released before the of end this year and I time my order right then no penalty.

In my state of Oregon there's a $2500 rebate that's not yet finalized because of litigation thanks to AAA. They expect a verdict in the next 2 months or so. At max value per car it's about 4000 cars a year that get it (first come first serve). It's too late for this year as they must have people already lined up to exceed that. But getting a car early next year with SAS (say February?) I would be eligible and my penalty all things considered is $1250. If SAS is released before the of end this year and I time my order right then no penalty.
I wasn't speaking of your state rebate. I was referring to the 7500 tax benefit for everyone before Jan 1'st.

Are you willing to give that up?