Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snowy Climate with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regen is disabled when the battery is too cold to safely accept a charge. It turned off as the result of it warming up from driving.
Good to hear it worked well! That's been my experience as well.

Ok, it probably got warm enough well before I got up to the pass, but required me to come to a full stop & put into another gear before it restored regen. Logical and a relief to know this now. Thanx!! Could have been way colder the night before than I had thought it was.

I was hung up on thinking the greasy clay roads provoking TC action > causing the NO REGEN action, but maybe these are not related at all. System be smart; System be our friend!!
--

Followup with warmup time (before regen kicks in) on flats = ~30 miles going 60mph, after a not very cold night. And 16 miles climbing 2700 ft at 40mph after a colder night. Takes a good while!
Seems odd not to have reciprocity here, i.e. you can extract maximum power when batt is cold yet you cannot charge batt when it is cold. It was as if charging creates cooling (can't be true) & discharge creates heat (true).
--

Funny your warmup time was so long. After sitting a long time at -27C it took my car 15 minutes of mixed city/highway driving to get regen back. Also I should note that you can't get maximum power out of the pack at freezing temperatures. You get most of the power, but not full power.