Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I had my ms ceramic coated - pic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
while the photos in this thread look great. (Deep, rich gloss, deep shine.) One can get that exact same gloss/level of water repellent with many (most?) off the shelf car products from any store. May have to apply them a bit more often than a year (as most Ceramics require reloads or recharges), but same end result.

Cars have won concourses, shows, etc with max gloss and shine for many decades before Ceramics came to be...

while the photos in this thread look great. (Deep, rich gloss, deep shine.) One can get that exact same gloss/level of water repellent with many (most?) off the shelf car products from any store. May have to apply them a bit more often than a year (as most Ceramics require reloads or recharges), but same end result.

Cars have won concourses, shows, etc with max gloss and shine for many decades before Ceramics came to be...
Curious to know which ones you use as I'd love to get that deep gloss shine asap. I've never been able to get it on a silver car. It just looks clean, but not a deep gloss finish.

Curious to know which ones you use as I'd love to get that deep gloss shine asap. I've never been able to get it on a silver car. It just looks clean, but not a deep gloss finish.
in my experience, silver (or any lighter color) will never capture the true depth gloss of darker color. Extreme example: white car vs black. All factors equal, the black is going to get the rich, deep gloss.

That aside, here is what has worked for me. Assuming a mild level of swirls already present and car has minimal (if any) wax/sealant on it:
1)Wash with whatever car wash I have around. Typically its Meguiars gold. (but Im not wed to that brand. It just suds nicely in my cheap foam gun)
2)I then clay it. No fancy spray. While the car is still slick/sudsy I wipe back and forth with this to get off contaminants and get the surface ready for next steps https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clay-Bar...MI19qBvumz6AIVkYrICh3fPwJnEAQYASABEgJ3PfD_BwE

3)I then use my Griots DA polisher (again, any brand polisher will do), a green pad and a mild slightly abrasive wax to work on any swirls and finish cleaning the finish. any liquid cleaner wax will do. I prefer Meguiars.

4)After that is done, I hand apply Turtle Wax ice. Spray on, wipe off with clean microfiber. After that, I finish buffing with another clean soft microfiber to bring out the shine.

Above is my quick and dirty method. if the paint is really in bad shape, I'll need to use more aggressive products (Meguiars Ultra Compound works well for me) along with the coarser orange pad. After that, I go to green or blue pad with a nice polish to get some gloss. After polish, I go straight to Turtle Wax Ice to seal in the shine.

for maintenance, once a month (every third wash) I go over the car with another fast spray of Ice. Once a year, I'll do the clay method again to get off airborne contaminants.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
A related note: For those skeptical about the benefits of claying. Try this (trust me): Wash a car panel. Say the hood. Then clay one side of the hood but not the other. Afterwards, get a small ziplock bag and place your hand inside. Using your fingers inside the ziplock back, lightly drag the bag across both sides. Trust me: you will feel the difference/contaminants still on the unclayed side. Its those contaminants that prevent best gloss and prevents whatever wax/sealant you use, to bond with the paint.

If you arent familiar with claying/the clay cloths like I referenced above, youtube will tell you all you need. Claying is HIGHLY effective yet 100% safe in quickly removing contaminants that are embedded in your cars paint.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS