Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So I have this old electricity meter . . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
I mean the one for the entire house. The one you get billed from. We had one switched out at a different house and they left the old one so I figured I'd swipe it and maybe some day it could be useful

So I was thinking . . . What if I put a meter base in the circuit for my charger and mounted this meter in the base? How cool would that be? I could see exactly how much charging was costing me.

but, this is a Smart Meter, so what if it started broadcasting a signal? I mean the ESID wouldn't match anything on file (unless they looked in the archives), but it might cause some confusion

it'd just be interesting, that's all. What do you think?

I mean the one for the entire house. The one you get billed from. We had one switched out at a different house and they left the old one so I figured I'd swipe it and maybe some day it could be useful

So I was thinking . . . What if I put a meter base in the circuit for my charger and mounted this meter in the base? How cool would that be? I could see exactly how much charging was costing me.

but, this is a Smart Meter, so what if it started broadcasting a signal? I mean the ESID wouldn't match anything on file (unless they looked in the archives), but it might cause some confusion

it'd just be interesting, that's all. What do you think?
I'm no expert but I made a lamp out of one I found in a food lion that went belly up after the meat relabeling scandal in the 90's (I didn't take it off the wall - it was in the rubbish pile). Coolest lamp I ever had. Just make sure you use the proper gauge or the code gestapo here will be after you...

PS - Send pics!