Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SoCal to Phoenix AZ (charging)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going to make another roadtrip from Lake Forest CA to Phoenix AZ next week. Did a bunch of Las Vegas trips and there is alot of free charging at hotels and shopping centers around the city. But in Phoenix AZ, seems it won't be free. Chargepoint can say stuff like "first 3 hours $1.50, $5 hours after".

Will chargepoint be more expensive than supercharging? So would it make sense to supercharge when I get nearby Phoenix AZ so when I get in the city, I'll have a full charge to cruise around the metropolitan area? I will be driving to several arcades and they are spreadout the entire Phoenix metropolitan area.

My hotel is in Downtown Phoenix next to Talking Stick Arena. I'll likely be going to a Bowlero in Scottsdale. And maybe 1 of 3 Dave and Busters in the Phoenix area. Maybe Fat Cats or Main Event. I don't know which ones I'll be going to, but they're all spread out with locations in Gilbert, Mesa, Avondale, Scottsdale and seems the entire Phoenix area seems like a 30-40 minute drive from one side to another.

So yeah would like charging tips if I should just top off before I enter the Phoenix area so I have enough to do local driving. Also if anyone knows free or cheap parking in the Downtown Phoenix area (near Talking Stick Arena) that would be great. Because my hotel (Kimpton Polomar) charges $28 day.

CA is still closed so it makes sense to check out these out of state arcades my arcade buddies tell me about.

Last edited:
Going to make another roadtrip from Lake Forest CA to Phoenix AZ next week. Did a bunch of Las Vegas trips and there is alot of free charging at hotels and shopping centers around the city. But in Phoenix AZ, seems it won't be free. Chargepoint can say stuff like "first 3 hours $1.50, $5 hours after".

Will chargepoint be more expensive than supercharging? So would it make sense to supercharge when I get nearby Phoenix AZ so when I get in the city, I'll have a full charge to cruise around the metropolitan area? I will be driving to several arcades and they are spreadout the entire Phoenix metropolitan area.

My hotel is in Downtown Phoenix next to Talking Stick Arena. I'll likely be going to a Bowlero in Scottsdale. And maybe 1 of 3 Dave and Busters in the Phoenix area. Maybe Fat Cats or Main Event. I don't know which ones I'll be going to, but they're all spread out with locations in Gilbert, Mesa, Avondale, Scottsdale and seems the entire Phoenix area seems like a 30-40 minute drive from one side to another.

So yeah would like charging tips if I should just top off before I enter the Phoenix area so I have enough to do local driving. Also if anyone knows free or cheap parking in the Downtown Phoenix area (near Talking Stick Arena) that would be great. Because my hotel (Kimpton Polomar) charges $28 day.

CA is still closed so it makes sense to check out these out of state arcades my arcade buddies tell me about.
There's a shopping center at the southwest corner of Ray Road and interstate 10 that has two free level 2 charging stations. They are near the AMC movie theater. The sign says there's a two hour limit, but I've parked there for longer than that.

Chandler Fashion Center has a station with CHAdeMO and CCS cables, but I think it's not free.

caution: I haven't lived there since early 2018, so my information may be out of date.

Not sure what model 3 u have but I would just top off in buckeye ...or there is an urban supercharger downtown. I did a Phoenix trip recently from Palm Springs and my hotel embassy had a ChargePoint but it cost me like ~$30 to top off my 100 batt..I have free supercharging but it was more the convenience of leaving overnight ..I would just skip the L2 unless it’s convenient for you and use supercharging

If you end up in the East Valley, the Hearne Way Parking Garage in Old Town Gilbert has six or so level 2 chargers on the second level next to the elevators, that are free.

Not sure what model 3 u have but I would just top off in buckeye ...or there is an urban supercharger downtown. I did a Phoenix trip recently from Palm Springs and my hotel embassy had a ChargePoint but it cost me like ~$30 to top off my 100 batt..I have free supercharging but it was more the convenience of leaving overnight ..I would just skip the L2 unless it’s convenient for you and use supercharging

Right now, there is no Supercharger in Downtown Phoenix, just a note that it's coming in 2020 on the supercharger map. But if it costs more to charge at a Level 2, I think I rather top off before getting into Phoenix (at Buckeye AZ). Cheaper charge, maybe 20-50 min waiting is worth knowing I should be good on local driving.

In Las Vegas, there was an incentive to charge at Level 2 b/c it was free, and the worst case is if I couldn't find one, I just charge at the Las Vegas strip. Which I had to do b/c the Paris LV charging station is broken and didn't get to charge (and the possibly working one was taken), but I had some charge from the Dave and Busters shopping center so it was kinda half and half.

There's a shopping center at the southwest corner of Ray Road and interstate 10 that has two free level 2 charging stations. They are near the AMC movie theater. The sign says there's a two hour limit, but I've parked there for longer than that.

Chandler Fashion Center has a station with CHAdeMO and CCS cables, but I think it's not free.

caution: I haven't lived there since early 2018, so my information may be out of date.
I live in the Valley. Ray and the 10 is a long way away from where you are staying in Phoenix. The charging station at Chandler Mall has moved, I have yet to find it!
The parking garage under Cityscape (where the Kimpton is located) has several ChargePoint chargers. Perhaps they are there for hotels guests? Worth a phone call to check it out!

Enjoy your trip!