Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Counting Teslas while you drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't be the only one doing this, right? I am a new EV owner, since August, in my first ever EV. (2023 Model Y). When I drive, I count other Teslas.

Before I bought the Tesla, I just wasn't aware or particularly interested in EV's. My general knowledge was both lacking and dated, about 10 years obsolete. Then my nephew had me drive his Model 3, and I was definitely interested. Not because it was an EV or a Tesla, but because it drove FAST - I love the driving characteristics of an EV. Fast forward a few months, and with price drops and tax rebates I had my MYP.

I live in a big city (north side of Phoenix), and I'm suddenly aware of other Teslas, so I started counting how many I see on a drive. My 'Tesla Count' makes me more aware of how many Teslas are out there, and also where they are concentrated (or absent). Scottsdale is a real Tesla hotbed. If I drive to my dentist (30 miles), my Tesla Count has hit 55. Go to the grocery (2 miles) and I might see 5-6, mostly parked. I've also started noticing Rivians, Lucids, Ford Lightnings and Mach-E's, and various other makes. It's been an eye-opener. There are way more EV's on the roads than I ever thought. And the Superchargers are much older than I knew, with a lot of them 10 years or so old now.

I'm about to do my first overnight road trip, to California, and now I'm started to look out for non-SC's, like Chargepoint, EVgo and (ugh) EA's. I'm suddenly only interested in hotels with overnight charging available. (Or an SC next door). And I'm researching things like chargers at McDonald's in Carlsbad NM.

And I'm seeing some realities, like the difficulty of taking my Tesla on routes where I routinely road-tripped on motorcycles for decades, due to lack of charging. (Navajo Reservation).
We do it too
Love it

Reactions: drdumont
Went to the Costco last week, counted cars as I walked in from the parking lot. 17 of 52 cars I walked past in that particular aisle were Teslas. This does not represent the overall percentage of Tesla's on the road here, just a statistical anomaly, and perhaps a datum on Costco shoppers. I do usually have to check license plates to pick out my car from among the other gray MYs when I go there.

Went to the Costco last week, counted cars as I walked in from the parking lot. 17 of 52 cars I walked past in that particular aisle were Teslas. This does not represent the overall percentage of Tesla's on the road here, just a statistical anomaly, and perhaps a datum on Costco shoppers. I do usually have to check license plates to pick out my car from among the other gray MYs when I go there.
Interesting that Costco loyalists are a higher percentage of EV owners
Maybe

1704126100041.jpeg

Nice to see that so many places have even more Teslas. I hadn't really thought of it - too many in CA to count - but it makes sense. Maybe I'll count on the way over until I hit 100 for the first time. I think my record so far as 55. I do see obvious relationships of tesla density and income levels, but it's also interesting to see locations which seem to be denser than expected, like the airport. I'm wondering if/when ICE car drivers noticing EV's will be normal. I really never thought about them until I had a ride in a Model 3.

Years ago (!!) - 1961 - my Dad came back to the US after being stationed in Germany for four years. He brought back a new Mercedes 190D. Even had to add his own seatbelts to it, though I don't think they were required at the time. We used to wave at other Mercedes back then. Not many around. Not sure when we stopped.

I might have counted when I first got my MYP a couple of years ago, but now they are very common in MN so I haven't in a long time. I do take note when I'm part of at least 3 Teslas driving in a row or the one time at a high school parking lot where I saw 4 out of 5 colors of Model Y (including mine) parked within 6 parking stalls.

I count them all the time. I also have the Prius and I count other Prius vehicles as well, lol

Teslas are literally everywhere here in Chicago...
I can’t imagine owning a pure EV and still driving a Prius
No offense, but no Prius owner ever plug in
And the battery is powered by gas
No better then brown hydrogen

Trade it in and get away from the hybrid falsehood

Who are "they"? I can't imagine every hotel, even most hotels, would do this, but I'm glad it has worked for you in the past!
I stay at a Holiday Inn Express occasionally, and they are happy to accommodate me. They have two chargers. The last time I stayed one parking spot had a cone in it for me, and the other had been ICED. There was a parking place on the other side of an island, and the cable was long enough to reach another Tesla past that island. So they took one and I took the second one later that night.

I stay at a Holiday Inn Express occasionally, and they are happy to accommodate me. They have two chargers. The last time I stayed one parking spot had a cone in it for me, and the other had been ICED. There was a parking place on the other side of an island, and the cable was long enough to reach another Tesla past that island. So they took one and I took the second one later that night.
...sorry, continuing to play devil's advocate here.

Two chargers? Holiday Inn Express, with 60-80 rooms? What are the odds that ONLY 2 Teslas show up and expect a destination charger to be available?

I will continue to dismiss the concept of destination chargers being available.;)

Reactions: Electroman
Here in WV, I may see 1-2 other Tesla's a day. I think the tops in one day has been 5. It's still exciting for me to see another Tesla come down the road as they are still rare here. In all honesty, they are rare enough that I recognize certain other Tesla's when I pass them. I can probably think of about 10 distinct Teslas in the area including two Model S, about 3-4 Model Ys, and the rest Model 3s. I've seen one Model X in my area with out of state plates but that's it. When I think of EVs as a whole, I've seen a couple of Ford Lightnings, 1-2 Mach-Es, one Rivian R1T (that may have been from another location, I have only seen it the one time), and a couple of Ioniq 5's.

EVs are still extremely rare here due to the states background with coal and the association of EVs with green energy. Quite frankly, I didn't buy my Model Y to save the Earth (although its certainly a positive to owning it), I bought it to save a boat load of money and have a safe, reliable, fun vehicle to drive. I try to preach as much as I can about the benefits of EVs, especially Tesla, but its a hard sell in this area. I will say I've let a couple of friends and family drive my Model Y and they are always impressed and walk away from it surprised at how nice it is.

Reactions: FastEddieB
The USA as a whole is in desperate need of EV education. PSAs should have been part of the IRA. Elon and all of us are leading the new vehicle industry.
With NACS adapter use to start this year for non Teslas and interest rates going down, let’s see if this can reactivate the non Tesla EV demand. Demand for Tesla never wained.