Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Counting Teslas while you drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the only Tesla in my rural Colorado mountain zip code, so everyone in the area knows the red Model 3 is mine. It's kind of fun watching the Tesla (and EV) density increase whenever I travel down the mountain to Canon City, the Springs or especially Denver.

Reactions: drdumont
Today I hit a new high (97) and figure I will have to set some rules. Today I decided to visit superchargers on my drive home, and I'm considering not counting the ones parked for a charge. Too much like shooting fish in a barrel. Or I could decide to only count red model Y's, like mine, or maybe look for 2, 3 Teslas in a row. Doesn't really matter. Today it was very clear how stratified Teslas can be. I drove to my dentist (30 miles) and 2/3rd of the way there I got off the freeway just inside Scottsdale with a count of 2. By the time I took Frank Lloyd Wright blvd to my destination, the count was up to 19. I lost count on the way home when I got to the first supercharger, but overall I saw about 100 today. And then once I left Scottsdale, I saw about 2.

Reactions: drdumont
I had the first red Model 3 in my town, North of D/FW Airport. If another drove through, I would bark at it. One fine day a new one was parked at a local supermarket, I drove by and barked at it, and to further annoy my wife I said I was gonna <ahem> mark my territory on it. She was not amused. That evening I parked next to it at the local TexMex place. The owner and I had a laugh over that business when I told him of it ("Oh THAT was you!"). Neither wife was amused... After dinner I was at local car shvitz to rinse the dust of the day, and there was a family with a 3rd red Model 3, 4 hours old, trying to figure out how it worked. Out came the Mentor in me. They also ow have two.
We don't count them around here any more, there are now 7 on my block alone, counting my two.

My daughter (48) and I started playing Tesla Punchbuggy (minus the punch) in LA on one of our AMTRAK excursions. Quit after 100 the first morning as we drove from Ontario to John Wayne A/P. I do notice around here that some days you could walk on them going down the street, others it's like no one wants to come out to play. Before Irving and Grapevine S/Cs opened, my Wall Adapter out back was an oasis for a few folks. Thank you all for the tips, usually in the form of Corn Squeezings. Unnecessary, but appreciated nonetheless.

Three years ago mine red Model 3 was the only one many people had ever seen in Canon City. A week ago I was parked next to a red Model 3 nearly as filthy as mine. The times, they are a changing.

Attachments

• Mudbogged1.jpg
    Mudbogged1.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Love
Reactions: MitchMitch
Tesla's seem to flock to the south side of Eugene, Oregon. A number of them are seen around the University of Oregon...kinda tells you the money that Mom and Dad have. A Telsa , then out of state tuition and fees on top of that...$40K +.Starting to turn into real money.
Also quite a few in town in other places...not many wave..anymore.

I'm still counting them. Not so much for the pure number anymore as I now know that places like Scottsdale are just loaded with them, but more seeing where and when they tend to be concentrated. In the last several months I've noticed that my own neighborhood is - or already has been - becoming another hotbed for Teslas. Other EV's too, but I have a hard time spotting most of those, other than the Mach-E. When I leave the house and get on the freeway, I go through a stoplight at an interesection I've now labels Tesla Corner. It's most common (over 75%) for me to see at least one other Tesla there before I pass through.

On the other hand, there are Tesla deserts. My suburb is well-off, consisting mostly of large, single-family 3-5 bedroom homes with garages. The oldest houses date to around 2000 or later this far north in Phoenix, so everything around is new in the last 20 years or so. Everyone has two (or more) cars. Everyone can charge at home. There are a fair amount of apartments going up in the area too, mostly along the freeways. (Who else wants to build a house next to a freeway?) I see on apps like Plugshare that most of these big apartment complexes have a couple of destination chargers, but it doesn't seem like 2 chargers are going to be very useful. Once I head out of the city limits, or I go through an older housing area where most houses just came with a carport, Tesla density drops like a rock.

I took two road trips to California in the past few months, and I used two destination chargers and was frustrated in my one attempt to use a non-Tesla DCFC, and EVBlink (I think) station right across the street from my hotel in Hanford, CA. Two stalls, one of which had a non-working credit card reader (all scratched up). The other one plugged into my CCS-2-NACS adapter, which I wanted to test for the first time. I had to download an app to get something started, but when I plugged in I just got errors in the car. I looked up the place in Plugshare just now, and I don't see the charging network, just a US Bank 50kW CCS/Chademo device.

But I had better luck with a couple of other chargers, and learned that everything is different from Superchargers. In San Diego I had to pay $23/night parking, but there were two EV Blink destination chargers available. I could not figure out how to get one to work the first night. The next day I went to the hotel desk to mention they weren't working, but it turned out they had to come out and enable it with a key, plus charge to my room. I did that for the next two nights, and it worked fine. Not sure the billing, but I think it was free one night (hotel guy probably messed up) and only $2-3 the next night.

In Lemoore, CA, a small town in what used to be a marijuana desert, I found a working 7kW charger in front of a pot store, of all places. And it worked fine via an app. I think it was EV Blink.

Yes, everyone was correct about California having Teslas everywhere. Even the rural areas had a lot. But SC's were also no more than 30-50 miles from almost any point I visited. I can't imagine how hard it is to travel without SC's. I predict that 2025 will really be the Year Of The EV in the US as that is when all the companies will have NACS ports and a lot of SC access. I think a huge amount of people are waiting on their EV purchase for this, if they haven't already bought a Tesla, like me.

hoping for continued EV adoption, I definitely notice the LACK of non-Teslas now (Mar 2024)
a year ago I noticed the growth of non-Teslas driving around and then it fell off the cliff

will be great to see with Tesla SCs opening up to non-Teslas, charging, an increase of non-Teslas charging
i glimpse at SCs during my travels and not seeing MachEs and Lightenings as we should
we need to see non-Teslas for the sake of ED adoption

On the drive back from Southern California to Vegas, it felt like every-other car was a Tesla. We stopped at Eddie's World for lunch and figured we would charge since we were there anyway. Lol.... line of Tesla's out onto the street. The funny thing is that about 10 miles down the road are 40 250kw stalls but... they aren't in the parking lot of Eddie's World.

When we did stop to charge (without a line) in Baker, we saw a Cybertruck as we were exiting the lot. The poor guy wasn't even pulled into the charger when the crowd of people were already forming around his truck. ;-)